Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

UK or GB

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• This should comme under 'All Categories' but my laptop refuses to show it in the list! Sorry about that.

Wandered through the Members' List to see where everyone was based - insatiable curiosity, my fatal flaw.
    From East Timor to Switzerland, from Australia to Afghanistan - we certainly span the world!
    Most members give the UK or GB as their 'address'. Which led me to wonder 'what's in a name?'
  • I gave Bangladesh once as I couldn't be bothered to go all the way down to 'UK'. (I'm pretty sure this was a UK site, too.)
  • what i would like to know is why all countries have their own name for all the other countries?

i did the same thing the other day - we truly are an international lot! 
  • Amanda - it's probably because no one can be bothered to pronounce or spell the names in their original forms. Understandable in some cases!
  • Is there a section all categories? I thought that was a round up of the most recently updated so you could view them withour having to look under the separate headings.
  • jenny, your not wrong there!
  • Kateyanne, my computer only shows All Categories and that is all the threads ever, in their many pages, over 200 now, we are a busy lot!
  • My understanding has always been that G B refers only to mainland Britain whereas U.K. includes Northern Irelnd
  • UK seems more acceptable these days, especially when buying something from a website. Northern Island is part of GB - has been since the division of ireland into N and S in the the 1920's.
  • If you look at your passport, it says 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
  • In theory, shouldn't it be "United Kingdoms" as several kingdoms united to form it?
  • I don't think the plural would be correct as the various kingdoms (Wessex, Kent, Northumbria, Scotland, Mercia, Wales,Ireland etc.) were defeated until  single Kinddom came into being
  • Have you noticed that they now refer to the rugby team as British and Northern Irish/Britain and Northern Ireland?
  • According to Wikipedia, UK includes Ireland while GB excludes it.

Over here we have to use Grande Bretagne when sending something through the post as Royaume Uni doesn't exist in their system. In general though, the French think that all of the islands across the Channel are England. Being Scottish, I'm doing my part to correct the error in their education.
  • The UK includes *Northern* Ireland but it does not include the Republic of Ireland.

And England never conquered Scotland. The Act of Union came about peaceably at a time when the same person happened to occupy both thrones - through inheritance (as it was understood at the time) rather than through military victory.

I have a feeling the Welsh and Cornish are quite precious about never having been conquered too.
  • I say we should do away with ALL borders.

Hmmm. Trouble is, whilst thinking this through I've thought of an exception and that sort of negates my original theory that without borders we'd have one less thing to fight over.
  • O.K. Jock, keep your hair on or we'll ban haggis hunting. By the way is haggis a pudding or a sausage?
  • It's the "great chieftain o' the pudding race" of course!
  • Hate to tell you this Amboline but I enjoy Waitrose's Vegetarian Haggis. May the wee Rabbie forgive me
  • CH - I thought you were joking, until I looked on the internet!
  • Now, how the flip can you have a veggie haggis?  Guess it's as normal as a veggie-banger is down south here - to the Scots.  Sometimes, I wonder how stone-aged man evolved and came on to produce us lot.  Are the Scots getting soft by producing this veggie haggis?  Somehow, it doesn't fit their image for me :O)
  • As I don't eat meat, vegetarian haggis is quite an appealing concept to me (and one I have enjoyed on many a Burns Supper too). It's not the meat that gives haggis its flavour anyway, so all you need to do to make a vegetarian one is to replace the meat with something non-meaty but bulky. Soya protein and/or ground nuts are the commonest things.
  • Does this tempt you?

Crispy, pan-fried vegetarian haggis, with a vibrant warm salad of spinach, butter beans and peppers, makes a great seasonal starter or light lunch.

you will need:

2 tbsp olive oil
    454g Macsween Vegetarian Haggis, casing removed and cut into 2.5 cm pieces
    200g pack Waitrose Marinated and Grilled Red and Yellow peppers (from the chiller cabinet)
    2 tsp paprika
    420g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
    150g pitted olives, drained
    2 tbsp Waitrose Balsamic vinegar
    225g bag baby spinach

Heat oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the haggis for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to break up and turn crisp.  Remove the pan from the heat and cover with foil to keep the haggis warm.
    Meanwhile, place the peppers with their oil in another frying pan with the paprika and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the butter beans and olives and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the beans are heated through.  Stir in the vinegar, cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
    Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl, add the warm bean mixture and toss to combine.  Divide between 6 plates, then spoon the haggis over the top.  Serve immediately, with a wholemeal bread such as Waitrose Organic Old Fashioned Wholemeal Batch.
  • Eeeeee.. yaiiiii.. arrgghh.. can't bear it.  Just the thought of haggis does my head in.  Isn't it supposed to be served in some gory old stomach of animal?  Arrgghh...

We've got rice tonight with a load of peppers and mushrooms thrown in.  I just can't bear the thought of false haggis, false sausages, false Shepherd's Pie, none of it.

The real thing sounds just fine to me.  And we can take it or leave it.

Oh, getting back to thread, I always click on UK because they don't normally give you a GB choice.  However....... I'd say English if given the choice, seeing as the countries all seem to be dividing themselves up.
  • My partner went to Wales yesterday. He took his passport. He said he was afraid he wouldn't be let into the prison where he was working. I said I'd be more worried about being let out again.
  • Ha ha!  I love you, Jay... :O)