Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Petition for more Harry Potter books-NO!

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Item on the BBC web pages, Waterstones- are apparently behind a petition to author JKR to write further books.
    How true this Save Harry Campaign is, I don't know.
    Are Waterstones worried their sales will drop if there are no more HP books to get kids into the stores, and of course the parents, who may also buy a book/s for themselves?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6282502.stm
  • i assume that the last book isnt out yet.  i would have thought that as she was firm about this next book being the last that she must have killed HP off.  otherwise there would be every temptation to keep him around.  i know i would he is too commercial to just stop for no reason.  after all he could get into all sorts of trouble as a teacher at hogwarts or something.
  • No doubt he could be reborn.
  • I believe it's 8 days to go before the last one comes out. 17th July I think.
  • Apparently she wrote the last chapters in tears in an Edinburgh hotel room, knocked off a glass of champagne straight, and inscribed 'JK woz ere' on a marble bust of Hermes - actually 'JK Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this room on 11 jan 2007.' So she can't bring him back can she?
  • With fantasy you can do anything you like (should the bank balance drop below a couple of million!).
  • Look what happened with Bobby Ewing. He turned up in the shower and the story leading up to his death, which we had watched over many weeks, had been in Pam's dream.
    I'm sure Daniel Radcliffe wouldn't mind turning up in a shower, he is afterall used to playing nude parts now....
  • I've never read the books, but I feel sorry for JKR.

I know how I would feel if it was one of my books I had decided that there where to be no more, for a bookseller demand that you write another one.  If she wants to write something else, leave the poor woman alone.

JKR, do what your heart tells you, not what publishers or booksellers say.
  • Nude parts, eh?
  • I'm looking forward to the last HP. But I think going for Book 8 would be overkill. No 7 was very slow getting going.
  • Did the hotel charge her for defacing the statue, or are they now charging extra for people to stay in the same room?
  • Just think of it 'JKR slept here'. What a sales gimmick! 
  • its out july 21st .
  • goodie, goodie.
  • Thanks for the correct date, as I can now honestly tell my sons that their copies from Amazon will be arriving- as long as the poor parcel postman's van doesn't breakdown because he's loaded up with books from Amazon!
  • I agree with Stirling. The only motive I can see for Waterstones doing this is because they want their cut of the revenue. JKR has made it quite clear that there were seven books planned, one for each of Harry's years at Hogwarts, and that she wants to be able to do other things. Fair play to her. It's not as if Waterstones won't still be coining it in from all the sales of future editions plus spin-off merchandise.

It's quite something for a literary character to inspire this level of devotion though. I can only think of a handful who have done so in the last 100-ish years.
  • A handful !  Like who ? This side of the Channel I think nobody ever came close ... Anyway, my sons keep arguing about on whose side Snape REALLY is - not much longer to wait !
  • Snape is a puzzling character. Not long to wait now.