Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

whsmiths 3for 2

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Well am just about to go head in to town and see what whsmiths has on offer for there 3for2.
    anyone else took up there offer?
  • Saw it but there were not 3 books I wanted, more's the pity. Ended up not buying - for once!
  • I'm about 10 miles from the nearest W.H.Smiths, so the answer is no.
  • 'Not three books' that you wanted? Have you read everything Dorothy?
  • one christmas they had the offer  but the books  they  had on the net were diffrent from the ones in the shop on the offer. grrrrrrr
  • I'll be looking tomorrow, when I do my weekly drop in for The Radio Times, and assorted magazines that get bought during the month.
  • Im trying to be good and not buy any more books until Ive read everything that I have bought.  (Like thats ever going to happen).

Ive been training myself to walk by WHSmith (and HMV).  Its not easy but Im not doing too bad.
  • I only buy specific authors, Stan, I rarely random buy.  I already had the new Mark Billingham and John Connelly when I saw a new Jeffrey Deaver but there were not two other books that caught my attention enough to buy. I need to be at least captured by the blurb and I wasn't.  I have so much to read, the entire Arthurian set from Bernard Cornwell among others that it takes an exceptional shelf of books to give me 3 to choose from.  I don't like chick-lit, romance, lifestyle, one on offer was Ben Elton, a man I truthfully cannot stand.  I just got yet another book on the Wars of the Roses, more reading ... so I left all the other books on the shelves of WH Smith and will pick up the Jeffrey Deaver some other time.
  • thought: should have said, I took a chance on Sovereign a week or so back, the praise was fantastic, how gripping the book is, etc. etc. It's about Our Henry's Great Progress to York. Murder mystery.  It's made me vow to avoid all detective-y things set in the past in future, it's made me vow to ignore high praise.  3 'angrily's in as many pages, and plenty of other instances when the editor was obviously on a teabreak and no, it is not gripping at all! I will avoid any further books from this guy, history degree or not! Random purchases 'take a chance on this' books are not a good idea when they are expensive paperbacks. I feel I have to read it but I am not enjoying it.  It'll be skipping sections soon. 
  • I am reading John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things and I thought this was a good chat to recommend it on.  I can say that it is a book that I can't put down, but when I have to I can pick it up at a later stage with ease.

Do you find with writing that sometimes you lose track of reading, I know I do.
  • so much for the 3 for2 i came back with one book lol ohh well
  • Just seen their advert about the 3 for 2 books. Always think that's a bad sign when they need to advertise.
  • You would be better off buying your fiction from the likes of ASDA. the top 50 or so are priced in the £3 to £4 bracket, so more cost effective than the W H Smith offer, but this leads into the debate on supermarkets discounting books. 
  • if we had an ASDA on the island ... we don't have a Waitrose, either.
  • I'm off to Asda later today. But I mustn't buy any more books. I have several recently bought books still unread.
  • I keep saying to myself "Resist - resist"!

There are unread books that belong to us, unread books from the library, unread books a friend lent me.

The trouble is, I can always be tempted, especially by special offers!