Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

And yet more from the Winchester Conference

edited July 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi folks.  Great to read the successful day Gary Kruse had at the Winchester Writers' Conference.  I went down on the Friday because an agent, Jane Judd, had phoned to ask if she could meet me to discuss Pets in Prospect, having read and liked a copy I'd sent her the previous week. Today I received an e-mail from her saying she's willing to represent me and find a way forward to get the paperback edition of the book published.  That's a step in the write direction and is helping me to walk tall.
  • That's really great news!
  • Fantastic news, well done! You've certainly earned it with all your hard work on the promotion front. A good demonstration to us all that persistence pays off :)
  • Congratulation and good luck with paperback! I did see you around, but every time I saw you, you were hurrying off somewhere or I had to hurry off to a lecture!
  • Great news!
  • That's fantastic news MW, let's hope this will bring the paperback edition closer.
    Now's the time to push ahead with book2- if you haven't already.
  • congratulations!
  • Whoo,hoo!
  • Understand you had a look at my books. What did you think (nice comments only, please)?
  • Jay. The jungle drums have been working I see -  or should that be hear?  Indeed I did look at your books.  The prose seemed to flow well and the  dialogue came over as natural and not forced.  Yep, a nice read for those that like that genre.

While still on the topic of Winchester, I had an agent who offered to look at Pets in Prospect so was given a copy at lunch-time. At the end of the day the book was extracted from the agent's bag between finger and thumb as if it were a dead rat and dropped into my lap with a shudder and a terse 'It's not for me'.
  • That's a shame. Still, at least you tried.

Did you see 'A Dangerous Man' by Anne Brooke while you were looking at the books? It's had rave reviews.
  • MW, what a rude person! He/She (the agent) obviously not only had a deficit of gumption but an abundance of arrogance. You wouldn't want someone as crass as that representing your work anyway, I would say.  Well done on the Jane Judd thing and I'm raising a glass of red to your continued success. (Who knows, I might even partake of some form of choco-licious product in your honour, as well)
  • what a great news. Well done. Keep us informed.
  • Wahoo! What brilliant news MW, you are a shining star guiding the way for all of those who follow in your footsteps!
  • By the way, that wasn't LisaBubbles comment, it was mine, MW! The phantom character changer strikes again.
  • Thanks folks. LisaBubbles sounds a wonderful person to judge by her name.  Liable to pop in at any time, fizzing with fun and guaranteed to add sparkle to any event.  What a corker she must be.

Jay:  Anne Brooke's book 'A Dangerous Man' did look a good read. Nice lady too.

IG, Yep. That agent was ..politeness doesn't permit me to go on....  Another agent in his talk said he was amazed at how many authors took on agents without ever meeting them. He felt it was essential to meet before deciding whether to work together.  Very valid point.  Highlighted by my experience.  That would never have worked. The chemistry was all wrong.  Acidic where the litmus paper would have always been red.