Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

More Winchester Success

edited July 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi All!

Had a great day at Winchester on Saturday.

I had a one-to-one with Simon Trewin, an agent with PFD, who has asked me to forward on the first 10000 words of my novel.

I also had a one-to-one with Jane Wenham-Jones, who was full of praise for my work, and described it as the best piece she'd read all weekend (at which point they had to widen the doors to get my ego through!). I also bought a copy of her book Wannabe a Writer, which she very kindly signed for me.

Plus, I was shortlisted for the First Three Pages of a Novel competition, and came away with a "Commended".

The workshops were fantastic, the food was great and overall I was really impressed with the whole conference. I strongly advise everyone who can to go next year because it really is worthwhile.

Congratulations as well to all the others who had success at the conference (see Winchester Success post).
  • Well done!
  • well done! Jane seems nice from her articles and she sounded it. I have her book, very funny.
  • great news!
  • That's great news!! Congratulations! How much is it to attend?
  • Great news, well done Gary.
  • Thanks all. It cost me £120 for the Saturday, but you can go for the weekend, or even a whole week, as there is a programme of weeklong workshops as well!
  • Gary - how did you manage to get the one-to-one chats? Were they pre-arranged or did you just grab the opportunity? I've never been to any sort of writers event so I wondered how they worked.
  • Hi Flick. You request them when you apply for the conference, and get allocated on a first come first served basis.
  • Ah, I see, thank you.
  • Hi Gary congratulations on being commended. Snap! You must have been in the Stripe theatre but I didn't see you. Hmmmm were you keeping out of my way? I'm so glad you had a great time and are thinking of going again next year. I am going next year so perhaps we'll say hello next time. Next year you'll have even a better time - catching up with people you've met this year. I do hope you got a few email addresses and made a few good contacts. Good luck with Simon, he turned me down in the end but was very helpful. Let us know how it all goes.
  • Would you say that it's better to go to Winchester if you have writing to take with you, or is it still worth going to pick up tips and get advice etc.
  • Hi Butterfly! I was in the Stripe on Saturday night. I was sitting on the far right about half way down with the white shirt on. I did intend to keep an eye out for you, but I'd forgotten your real name! We'll definitely have to meet up next year. Until then Good Luck with everything!
  • Hi Helen. It depends on what workshops or one-to-ones you book. Some need work sent in advance. Other's don't. It's definitely worth going though!
  • congratulations, Gary, a successful conference!
  • Well done Gary!
  • Well done Gary and everyone else who got something good out of the conference! :-)