Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Son's first success

edited June 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Dane got his latest issue of Marvel's Astonishing Spiderman, and found his letter to them included. He had also included a suggestion for their 'What If' storylines, and they're going to look at it.
    He's really proud. So am I.
  • Congratulations to Dane - well done.
  • Tell him 'well done'.
  • Good on you son.  My first success was a letter to a women's magazine about my baby daughter - she's now 25. I have to confess I used my wife's name.  But from small beginnings.....
  • Well done, Dane!
  • He's a regular chip off the old block
  • Pass on the congratulations!
  • Well done! To send a letter in would be achievement enough, as most people never get round to it. But to have it printed...  :)
  • Three cheers for Dane!
  • Congratulations Dane!
  • That's a great achievement. Well done, Dane!
  • Fantastic - good to see you're encouraging good writing habits in your family, Carol! I can remember how proud I was when I sent a joke to "The Dandy" (at age 9) and they actually published it! Fairly certain it was the start of the slippery slope for me...
  • And you've never looked down since Amboline.
  • Well done to Dane!  A chip off the old block, then?
  • I have to tell you, Dane was amazed at the responses this received, and it really gave him a boost.
    (His class at school has a number of unpleasant children who consider him weird and a geek.)These congratulations have done a lot for this self confidence. Especially when I explained to him that both Jay and MW are published authors- he was very impressed by you two.
    I'm sure the first thing he'll want to know is who else has added their comments.
    This letter of his will certainly only be the first of many writing projects sent out into the world.
  • Marvel's Astonishing Spiderman sounds cool. My son would probably love to see that. He likes to do lego creations and get me to take photos of them to send to the lego magazine.

Well done Dane and hopefully more to come. It's fab to see your name in print, a real confidence boost. Boys in school are always looking for someone to pick on, but when you get older you'll find out that the geeks are the ones who earn the most money! mwahahah
  • That's what I tell him, and fortunately he realises he has more earning potential in life. (The other lads are the sort who believe they can all be footballers and earn millions, and don't put as much effort into their work.)
    Hubby thought that I had helped Dane write the piece, and was surprised when I told him it had been Dane's words entirely (I vaguely remembered Dane saying he was sending the letter by e-mail, a couple of months ago.)
  • Good for you Dane, hope you're inspired to do more writing.
  • Your success has really made my day, Dane. I got a real thrill from reading this thread. Well done, you clever sausage. I greatly admire anyone who can write (although I'm probably a little biased) but I recently celebrated a birthday and one of my sons (he's 23 and living hundreds of kilometres away now) asked me what I'd like. I know he's doing his best to manage money etc. so I asked him to write me a story instead of buying me something I don't need. Nothing gives me more pleasure than people who put pen to paper and although you may be proud (justifiably so) I can tell you without being in the same country as you, that you've made your mum even prouder. Keep up the great work! :)