Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I Can't Even Bring Myself To Say It!.

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• While browsing in my local Borders today, I came across Katie Price's second novel.  Peeved that she had not only published two (when so many good ones struggle and turn to self-publishing) I had to take a look.

Is it just me, or is the writing worse?.  Do you think she may have got ideas and sacked the Ghostwriter.  Or maybe the ghostwriter is just as bad?.
  • I suspect she's started believing the publicity.
    Sorry, anything with her name on and I wouldn't bother picking it up.
    I ask you, has she ever said in interviews she's spent x nunber of years writing etc. Not that I've heard.
    The books are published because she is a 'celebrity', and there are a number of misguided people who will buy it because it's her, so the publisher is guaranteed high sales.
  • My daughter picked up one of her children's books in WH Smith the other day - it was in one of those special display stands to ensure it sells oodles of copies.

I was so horrified, I didn't even flick to see what was inside :)

Presumably it was ghost-written, so at least it's perhaps given a real author an income ;)
  • Flip side is though that she'll make a lot of money for the publisher, and maybe, just maybe some of that money will be used to publish and promote the work of an unknown writer. I don't for one second believe that publishers believe trash like that to have any real literary value, they're just published to balance the books and as I say, it may just help a few unknowns onto the ladder so to speak!
  • I'm one of the idiots who bought a paperback copy of her first book - I had no idea who Katie Price was. but the subject matter was similar to something i was working on so I was intrigued. Huge mistake. It was a bad book - not necessarily badly written but it sounded as though it had been written by a teenager. Subject matter was dealt with in a trivial way and the whole thing was very superficial. I also saw there was another one out but I won't make the same mistake twice. The lesson is though - that these books sell. That's why publishers produce them. So a book written by eg the Duchess of York's daughter or by Jade Jagger will always be taken over one by an unknown. How lovely to think that the money the publishers make will support new writers. I fear it goes into the pockets of shareholders. The pot is a limited one for us newbies
  • 'I fear it goes into the pockets of shareholders,' says Flick.

Spot on!
  • There's a second? Yikes!
  • I notice that this book was top of the Hardback fiction charts last week.

Jolly good. Nice to see the level of culture in this country is so high. :-)

Richard
  • Who is Katie Price?
  • Betsie

Katie Price is that font of all literary wisdom otherwise know as Jordan.

Richard
  • (that was odd. I was just signed in as Rosemary...)

When Katie Price/Jordan was interviewed about her writing, she said (I'm paraphrasing as I can't remember it by heart but it was in an issue of Writers News among the snippets) 'I don't sit down and write all day. I don't believe anyone really does that.'

She went on to say that she just talks into a Dictaphone and the writer goes away and turns her ideas into stories.

So now you know how to do it. Don't waste hours at the computer trying to find the right word(s). Tell someone else your ideas and let them find the right words ;-)
  • I heard that interview with Katie Price and I started to wonder if there was any point carrying on with the writing game. What hope is there for newcomers?
  • Publishing is a business. A publisher would logically publish works in order of their profit potential. Literary merit is irrelevant
  • "So a book written by eg the Duchess of York's daughter or by Jade Jagger will always be taken over one by an unknown."

Incorrect. A celeb book will subsidise the unknown writer. Without The likes of Katie Price, less new writers would get into print. Publishers don't print Kate's book and similar because it has literary merit, but because it stops them going under.
  • It's not incorrect. Given a choice of a book by me or a book by Jade Jagger which would they pick? The publishers want names that will sell. They know that a book by someone like Jade Jagger will catch people's eye. They already have an advantage in the marketing of the book. Why take the risk? If it were not the case then these celeb books wouldn't be published. The idea that the publishers have this altruistic desire to support new writers is great but not the basis of their business. They want to make money pure and simple.
  • But they aren't making money, they are making horrific losses.

Give me a non-name and literary merit any day.  While in Borders yesterday I bought Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (non-name to me anyway) and Love Over Scotland by Alexander McCall Smith (literary merit).  I think that the last celebrity book I bought was Ronan Keating's autobiography and that was eight years ago!.
  • My hairdresser (almost young enough to be my daughter) didn't stop raving about Katie's first ghosted "effort". Thereafter the conversation kind of dried up a bit. Maybe I should change the salon I go to.
  • 2006 - Penguin profits up 22% to £66m
    That was the first one I googled
  • Any day now, I am expecting to see the book
    'Confessions of the Royal Corgis' It would not surprise me.
  • Alison Weir: a popular British writer of history books for the general public, mostly in the form of biographies about British kings and queens.

As a reference book for the general reader 'Britains Royal Families - the complete geneology' takes some beating.
  • What about this then? Geri Halliwell's books (yes, books) for children out next year. Have a look at a couple of extracts + Geri's thoughts on the exercise - but have the sickbag ready.

http://popbitch.com/gerry/ugenia.htm
  • All together now ... When will I be famous?
  • I might manage infamous
  • Pass the sick bag, my sister has just told me that Kerry Katona (formerly McFadden) is writing a novel and has a three book deal.

It's enough to make you give in.  Unfortunately I believe good writing will win out.
  • And they won't be kept on people's bookshelves for posterity.
  • Alison Weir is sadly biased, though, IMO. I don't like her books at all.  Mind you, there are a lot of historians I don't like ... fortunately through the Internet I have met up with one I do like, a honest one, for a change!

Aside from that, I do not like 'celebrity' books but then I do not like 'celebrities' much either, the current hysteria over Paris Hilton is unbelievable!
  • Stirling, I am now offically very upset. I can't believe that. A three book deal!!! It is almost enough to make you give in, isn't it.
  • Possibly, No thats correct Carol it is because of the 'celebrity' status.
    Quite some time ago I was in our local WH Smiths looking at the books for one that I later found no longer in print, I digress. What caught my attention was a book called I think the title was something like ' My Life So Far' or something like that. Who was it about. 2 year old Brooklyn Beckham - I kid you not - I didn't even bother opening it. I just couldn't believe that they had written a book on the life of a 2 year old.
  • That does make me want a sick bag!
  • Like I say I believe in good writing and I won't give up.  Let her have her five minutes.  I want to be taken seriously as a writer.  I hear these stories and I think, enjoy it while you can love, I'm just around the corner, and I'll show you what writing is really about'.
  • Brooklyn Beckham???  That takes some beating.  What on earth were the publishers thinking of?

It's a good thing I write for myself otherwise I'd be getting very disillusioned, right now.  A lot of would-be writers will probably be thinking 'what's the bloody point?' considering the market must be tougher now than it's ever been.

I have enormous faith in my latest project, however.  I have backing from someone very influential (who's changed and saved thousands of lives), and that's good enough for me.  If it's crap, she'll be gentle.  If it's good enough, she'll say so with fanfare.
  • "Paris free at last!"

I'm saving that for my next book.