Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Borders

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Okay, highly unlikely, but has anyone not bought this months WM?.  Just asking because I've just been into Borders and the magazine comes with a free copy of 'How To Write A Bestseller'.

The book probably retails at £7.99, so I suppose getting it for £3.50 is a good reason to get a second copy!.
  • Is this a Borders-only offer?
  • I think so, I haven't seen it anywhere else Jay.
  • it's all right for them who have Borders ... we have a pint sized WH Smiffs and that's it!
  • What's WM?
  • Must be just Borders, as I saw the latest WM (Writing Magazine)in W.H.Smiths last Friday and it didn't have anything with it.

One of our new shopping areas here-still under construction- has got Borders signed up. After visiting their York branch, I'm waiting for the day it opens.
  • Are they being taken over by someone or some of their branches being closed down? Thought I heard something on the news. Suppose I should Google it.
  • We don't have a Borders near here.
  • I think the Waterstones-HMV franchise where trying to buy them out, like they did with Ottakers, but I don't think they were successful.

That is the last thing we need, the HMV group being able to control the industry and demand even bigger discounts than the standard 60% they already have.

Myself, I love Borders, it is much better than Waterstones (I have been known to spend £100 in one visit).  I wish it was easier access to where I live.  I can get to Wallsend from Cramlington, but Newcastle would have been easier.
  • stirling is there a borders in wallsend, cos if there is i'll send my mum to get it for me. Where abouts in wallsend is it
  • Carol I know what you mean, I have a friend in York and when I last went to visit she lost me for a good few hours in Borders.  I swear I was drooling when I came out.

The one in the town centre was supposed to be open summer 07 and it doesnt look any more finished than it did three months ago.
  • Sorry if I didn't make myself clear Mandy.  That was where I was this afternoon.  I only wish there was a one closer to me than a place where I can only get a bus once an hour.

I completely understand about getting lost in Borders for an hour.  One of the few pleasures I could never say no too!.
  • In the centre of Nottingham- for those who don't know it- is a building site. There is going to be a new car park, shops, flats and other all singing and dancing stuff in Trinity Square.
    It was meant to have the car park open for use by last Christmas, and be up and open for retail use by now.
    As Neph said they don't seem to have made much progress.
    I  could spend money in Borders, and enjoy it in a way I wouldn't in Waterstones.
  • Oh, Nephilim (hope I got your name right) When I was in York earlier on this year, I visited Borders on Daveygate, I thought I was in heaven!
  • We are a bit spoilt for bookshops in York, it has to be said :)
  • Sorry Mandy I was the one who wasn't reading properly (I stopped drinking caffine two weeks ago and I'm wiped out, went to the Doctor and she says that my body is craving it even though I don't think 'I've got to have a coffee!').

Borders is in the Silverlink Retail Park.  You can't miss it.  My sister used to go to Wallsend college, and it's just around the corner.  You can get a bus from Wallsend.
  • stirling i phoned my mum this morning and she told me it was in the silverlink and when she gets rid of my niece(mums babysitting a 2 yr old and is frantically pulling her hair out) she will pop over and get it for me. i will see her next weekend cos we have a wedding to go to in redcar. only two and a half hours on the motorway to get to it, thats if we can make it through the floods.
  • Ah, poor little toddler! Wouldn't scissors be easier? (Only joking.)
  • it's only after your reply jay that i saw what you meant. i must say my mum is not abusing my niece, more like bribing her with a 10p mix up from the shop if she's really good. Hee Hee that made me laugh
  • Stirling my mum has dragged a screaming toddler to borders and managed to get me the magazine with the free book. let's hope that will help me, i've started really editing my book and now i'm having a panic everytime i take something out. i keep thinking should i take that out or leave it put and then i feel like reaching for the tea towel again. oh christ, how do you know when to leave something in and when you should take something out. HHEELLPP!!
  • When I take a large chunk out, I go to the end of the document and paste it there ... just in case I change my mind later.

You could also use the editor's way - red line it, so it stays and, I think, can be cut en masse. If you fancy the second method, I might need to check to how to do it.

Ah, I hear the sweet south/sound of an e-mail. Probably spam.
  • I tend to have two documents for each writing project, one for notes and sections I have cut, possibly for reinsertion at a later date. I tend to have both open on the machine at the same time so I can swap between them.

As for the middle of Nottingham, I only venture in if I really need to - all i can say is thank goodness for online ordering!!!
  • I've done that Newcastle to Redcar journey before (went to the Speedway with my Dad and sister).  Just make sure you miss the Tyne Tunnel at rush hour!.

Hope you enjoy the book!.
  • i have to travel from cannock in staffordshire up to redcar. so i have the joys of the A38 and the A/M1 and then cutting across to redcar, or so i've been told. Never been to redcar before, so it should be a bit of an adventure.
  • Hope the weather is dry by then Mandy.
  • so do i but the bride to be phoned me today and told me she has bought a pair of pink wellies and she is going to cover them in sparkly jewels, just in case it is still raining next saturday. Can you imagine the photos, merangue wedding dress, tiara, bouquet and sparkly wellies peeping out from underneath. Lovely hee hee
  • Well if Shirley Bassey can have her initials in diamonds on her wellies (at Glastonbury)then why not. Set a new fashion.