Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A writer who didn't disguise his subjects very well

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Another article from the books section of the online Times, reporting a case of a writer who was beaten up for revealing the secrets of a French village.
    Justice?
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1969083.ece
  • ...Members of three of the five families who live in the hamlet...all known to Lussaud’s 25 inhabitants...for instance, about the 1960s affair between two neighbours who have since returned to their spouses and whose children are married to each other...

That man may be a published author but I get the feeling that he 'aint too smart'. Only 5 families and a total of 25 people living in the village he wrote about? Come on! That was just playing with fire, wasn't it! What a silly, silly man.  There's a lesson in that for all of us.  :)
  • Have to agree with you IG, he really should have known better.
  • What a twp (Welsh for twerp, apparently)!
  • mon deiu! if i started about the scandals in our little community in the centre of france i would be beheaded quicker than you could say 'let them eat cake!'
  • Trouble is all communities have scandals. You could pick any one and there would probably be someone who was guilty- even if you didn't actually know about it.
  • There was a famous book published in Ireland way back, early nineteen-hundreds, I think, called The Valley of the Squinting Windows, by Brinsley MacNamara. This caused a major scandal as everyone tried to find out which village was being referred to, and all kinds of feuds started as a result. The book was burned and a schoolmaster got sacked and so on. I can't remember the name of the village, but it's in the midlands and nowadays it's referred to as, 'Oh, that's the village of the squinting windows.' Actually, I think probably most small villages have squinting windows, and maybe the catchiness of the title had something to do with the notoriety. Shows how important titles can be.