Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Does this sound like a good idea?

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• What do you think about this plan? The article appeared today on the website of one of our local free papers.

"READERS will be able to mix coffee with Kafka with the help of plans to put Starbucks caf
  • As a Hillingdon library employee, I can say that the new Victoria Road library talked about is actually going to be sharing its building with a new Adult Education centre offering evening classes etc, so it's a bit misleading to just call it a library. Similarly, a new library planned in Hayes for 2008 will share its building with a swimming pool and Citizens advice among other things. In these circumstances a coffee shop is probably a good idea. But in a small basic library I'm not so sure!!!
  • I think a cafe in a library is a great idea - and as a bonus for those of us who often need one urgently, it should mean a public loo too! :)
  • This will probably sound old-fashioned, but I'm concerned there will be less room for books!
  • Our main library in Nottingham City Centre used to have a coffee shop on the second floor- the powers that be decided to shut it down last year and replace it with a coffee machine.
    I don't think we'll be seeing one here.
  • I heard through the staff grapevine today that Starbucks are interested in opening up in the bigger libraries/combined places mentioned, but the plan is to get the library staff to make the coffee in the smaller branch libraries. I envisage a staff rebellion.I worry too that books are becoming less and less prominent in libraries and elsewhere. And, yes, loos wherever drinks are served seem an essential to me too!
  • Another idea from those who seldom if ever use a ibrary. Jenny is quite right it eems to me that we are heading for an internet cafe and video shop with a few books  in case any old fogey wants to actually read!
  • As the council seems to be more interested in generating income than providing books, perhaps they should lease space in libraries to other businesses. Masseurs would be very popular!

Viv - I'm sure library staff wouldn't be too happy about making coffee for all and sundry. That's not what they're there for.

The answer might be for them to make the coffee taste so horrible that no one would buy it again!
  • "Cllr Henry Higgins (Con, Harefield), cabinet member for culture, sport and leisure..."

If I hadn't heard about Starbucks elsewhere, I'd think this was a con (Con?). What do we offer the children? Do most regular users of libraries spend more than ten-fifteen minutes in there? I can see, if you're involved in some research, that it'd be nice to have a cup of coffee while you work. Or if you're scouring the sits vac column of a newspaper. But mightn't people go in there just for a cup of coffee, and ignore the books?
  • Best idea yet. Get rid of all these sily books the get in the way of the shops in our mini mall
  • Starbucks is so expensive. Parents will just avoid going there with their children. I for one would find my library visit ruined by mine pleading for drinks/cakes. And a free after-school activity would end up costing a tenner :(

If it is necessary to have a cafe, why not something cheap and cheerful? Oh, yes, it wouldn't generate as much revenue...

Our library doesn't have a loo, so that's one improvement that I would rather see!