Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Met Rolf Harris

edited June 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Met Rolf Harris yesterday.  A man with my sense of humour and with a similar love of animals. I gave him a copy of my book Pets in Prospect to read and should he like it, he may do a quote for the paperback IF ever I can persuade a publisher to take the paperback rights on. It seems to be a very big IF at the moment. But will keep trying.
  • What a wonderful opportunity, and how did you come to meet him MW?
  • Cool bananas! Way to go!!
  • Ooh Malcolm - how exciting for you.  Just last week I went to Walsall art gallery to see his portrait of the Queen.  I liked it very much.
  • Now that is something for the memory bank, MW! Someone I would love to meet, such a character!
  • Couldn`t that be an added plug for your book?
    "Hi, Mr. Publisher! You know, Rolf Harris really liked this - he said he`d do a quote". Might be worth a try...
  • Did you meet him at a book launch or some other sort of function, MW? Did you have Arthur Rex with you? I'd like to see some of his paintings, Betsie. When I was younger he had a TV show that screened here with guests and performances. My favourite part of the show was his painting at the end. He used to slap it all together with great dollops of paint (sometimes even upside down) and it would turn into the most amazing picture.
  • He was opening an exhibition of miniature paintings which we'd been invited to.  And then the following day there was a lunch at which he was the guest speaker. He was an extremely funny raconteur with some great jokes. Very approachable person and spent a lot of time talking to people and signing programmes.  Even commented on my tie though his was more lurid. If I didn't achieve anything else, at least he's aware of my book and scribbled a reminder to himself on a postcard of the book which I had left on the top table. So hopefully he'll find the time to flick through it.Even better if he enjoys the read.  I handed out a few postcards to other people at the lunch. One lady was very enthusiastic.  Had I an agent? No.  Her daughter just happened to be one....addresses were exchanged.
  • What an evenful day- lets hope Rolf and the Agent are positives.
  • Fingers crossed!
  • Did you see him on Have I Got New For You? I never realised he was such fun.
  • He was fun...
  • Oh wow! Lucky you :D I loved watching him in Animal Hospital and loved his books of anecdotes about animals!
  • I've always liked him. We loved his songs when we were kids. When I was about 8 he came and did a talk and painting, a huge one, at my school. And a song with his wobble board.

We had that show too IG, I used to love those paintings he did that you couldn't guess what they were till the end.... I don't remember them all being upside down though...

He likes children's poetry. In fact he's anthologised a couple of books...
  • Yes Dora - I thought he was great on that show - came over as a really nice fun guy
  • He sounds like the ideal person to do a quote for the book - a lovely bloke, too. I really enjoyed him on HIGNFY - Paul Merton kept making him laugh. As ever, keep us posted, MW!
  • He does seem like a nice guy - I really liked him on HIGNFY, too. Great news, MW - hope he does you a great quote/review and helps you into a paperback deal!
  • Oops - just realised the date of this thread - June 2007!!! Keep getting caught like that.
  • edited May 2009
    Me too! Hope he *did* you a good quote, MW! Actually I was a bit puzzled because I thought you were already out in paperback. That explains it...
  • i watched Have I Got News For You on BBC iplayer earlier... really fun...