Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Article in Guardian re children's reading

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2100543,00.html

Worth reading just for Michael Rosen's words.

'New children's laureate slams education policy

Michelle Pauli
    Monday June 11, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

Michael Rosen, who was today appointed children's laureate, set out his stall for the two-year stint with a pledge to fight to bring back into classrooms a love of reading for pleasure.
    "I utterly resent and reject the notion that you can teach reading without books," he told journalists after his appointment.

"There is a huge push on to create an environment - in nurseries, and reception, and year ones and year twos - where books are secondary to the process of reading. This seems oxymoronic to me. We must, must have at the heart of learning to read the pleasure that is reading. Otherwise why bother? You could learn phonics, learn how to read and then put it behind you and watch telly - you're given no reason to read. There are many ways in which people learn how to read; the idea that there is one way is an outrageous fib."'
  • The school my children is at is fully of books, they have "book club" where they can buy books, a library where they can borrow books, a basket of books that gets put out on each table every day, time to read books, books to take home, reading scheme books, they talk about books, bring in their favourite books to read out to the class, dress up as characters etc etc etc. :)

I think the school has done a brilliant job to encourage reading.

I can't believe their school is the exception.

They do learn phonics, too. Not sure where he gets his views from? It sounds more like when I was at school, some time ago ;)
  • Sally you obviously have a school who has realised the importance of books in the school community, unfortunately many schools still have a lot to do in this area.
  • I totally agree with Michael Rosen's attitude.  I've been slightly concerned at the fact that my girls have studied more films than classic literature in their English classes at secondary school. It's a two-edged thing: would a lot of their classmates be put off Eng Lit forever if confronted with Dickens or Hemingway?  In which case, better to give them a taste for analysis by exposing them to some classic Hitchcock.  On the other hand, if you don't read Jane Austen or Thomas Hardy in school, will you ever pick one up voluntarily later in life?

The biggest influencing factor in children's attitude to literature, though, is probably found in the home. If your bookshelves are filled with DVDs and celebrity biographies, then it will take an exceptional teacher to wake an interest in the written word.
  • Would suggest looking at this article in the comments section of the Times online, by David Aaronovitch. It has some interesting info.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/david_aaronovitch/article1917879.ece
  • Hello Anyanka, why do you have to equate DVDs with celebrity biographies? There are a lot of intelligent films out there, and studying them can be very educational. Just take Star Wars. The fight between good and evil. A lot of good and interesting stuff for children to study and discuss!
  • Hello Anyanka, why do you have to equate DVDs with celebrity biographies? There are a lot of intelligent films out there, and studying them can be very educational. Just take Star Wars. The fight between good and evil. A lot of good and interesting stuff for children to study and discuss!
  • Sorry if my message came in twice. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Anyanka, I have to agree with you regarding filling bookshelves at home. I very much believe that a love of books is something that can come from the home as much - if not more - than school. When my daughter was younger I always read to her at bedtime, took her regularly to the library, filled her bedroom shelves with books and encouraged her to read at every opportunity. Now she is 12 - yes, she does like the celebrity biogs/MSN/loud music/fashion mags etc etc, but she still loves to curl up on her bed with a good book.
  • Sally: has your school taken advantage of any of the publicity they could get themselves by taking this enlightened attitude towards reading? I imagine there'd be a national newspaper or two who'd love to run a feature on it, if what they are doing is considered to be so out-of-the-ordinary today...
  • I really don’t think it is out of the ordinary. :) I’m just the only person to reply to this thread who has recent experience of the infants at school. I’m sure secondary school will be different.

It would be interesting to hear from other people who’ve been into infant schools recently. But it really has all changed.

Our local library, along with no doubt others in the country, does a summer reading scheme, too, where you get reading badges and stickers.

There’s a tremendous drive to encourage reading, which can only be a good thing. Shame there isn't a similar initiative to encourage tidying up and Hoovering!?!
  • My daughter is just coming to the end of reception and their approach to reading and books is fantastic. The have the Home Reading scheme from The Oxford Learning tree. They all choose a new book every Monday and have to have it at home to read with parents. The parents and children have to add input to a reading card about progress, enjoyment etc. They can have the book at home for as long as they wish or feel they need.
    n the school they have a book circle where they are read stories by a teacher and are asked for input about characters, stories and enjoyment.
    They also have writers who come into class to read and talk about childrens books, not often but a few times a year.
    They are encouraged to bring in favourite books from home to share with the other kids. They have a book club also where they can buy or hire new books. They have regular trips to the local library as a class and spend afternoons in there reading, selecting and talking about books.
    Oh by the way these kids are five years old. I think the state of children's reading from a school point of view is light years ahead of what it once was in my experience.
  • Caro, I don't equate DVDs with celebrity biographies - my point was simply that if you don't have a lot of books at home, then your children lack a role model for reading. No amount of intelligent films can replace or create that.  I'm a huge film buff myself, with a growing DVD collection and an internet DVD rental agreement, but there are a lot more books in my house than movies! A film or tv programme, however well-made and suitable for discussion, is never an adequate substitute for bedtime reading.
  • "A film or tv programme, however well-made and suitable for discussion, is never an adequate substitute for bedtime reading."

That is very true but we should not confuse them either. Books are a different medium than film. Both have their own merits and rewards which the other cannot offer. We cannot simply group books, TV and film into one neat bundle because they all tell stories.
    They have very similar qualities of course; they all entertain, inform, educate and show a varied world view from our own. The different mediums simply present these aspects in their own unique forms. I never compare books to film even if they are adaptations due to this fact.
  • Ugh Oxford Reading Tree, sorry my two did them and I know they are good, but I swear Biff, Chip and whatever drove me insane.

My Son is currently working his way through Charles Ogden and Lemoney Snickett and my daughter is in love with Vampirates by Justin Somper.

I read to her most nights and she loves it when I bring the book to life, with different voices etc.  To be honest her reading has come on leaps and bounds of late.  She actually struggled with the Oxford books, finding the stories dull so therefore not concentrating.
  • I find that since the introduction of Learning Tree and Learning Web that my daughter's love of learning to read has increased dramatically. She loves Biff and the gang but it is a wonder range than just those books. If it helps kids learn to read, learn to love reading and hungry for a wider knowledge then I applaud it.
  • I hope this Phonics learning is not ITA, which I was taught as a child and means that many years later I still cannot spell for toffee (toffeee?)...

When I was a kid (largely bullied) I read pretty much all the time. Blyton and others, before someone gave me a Larry Niven for christmas and I started SF reading and never looked back. At the time, the study book in our English class was Far From The Madding Crowd... A book so dull that it put me off reading classic English lit for about the next 20 years...

I think it would be more interesting if children can be allowed to pick their own reading list and right reviews, reports or analasys of the plot. Those that move onto A-Level can be tortured with Dickens and Hardy...
  • No doubt in a few years the general view will change and there'll be more freedom in the choice of books for the children to read.
    This is a little off point, but bear with me.
    For many years in primary school my children have been told they must join up their writing in a prescribed way- if you don't you lose marks in SAT'S tests.
    At the final review meeting for my younger autistic son, his handwriting was discussed (handwriting is an area of difficulty for most autistic children)and the headteacher commented that there had been a discussion in the staffroom about handwriting, and many of them had said it didn't matter about joining up words, it was being able to read the words that they wrote that were important.
    Since they stopped concentrating so much on that aspect his writing has decreased in size, and can now be clearly understood.(I always took that view- pity it's taken three years for others to.)
    Reading is the same, you have to find a balance that suits everyone.
    Unfortunately, with the idea of teaching by phonics it will become the system used because the gov't says it's best, and children who were able to progress other ways by a mixture of methods, or alternate ways will possibly become the children having difficulty reading. A few more years down the line an Education Minister will say they then need a mixed system to help these children.
  • Tony, I knew my children’s school wasn’t unique :)

Random, don’t worry, it’s nothing like ITA. I remember schools learning that, too. Not wishing to be controversial, but – what a rubbish system that was. :)

Carol, re handwriting, I totally agree re joined up writing. My son has dreadful writing, and our school is very keen on this joined up system right from when they’re 5.

Back to reading. I’m sure that teachers in schools do use a mixed system. I know they learn Jolly Phonics at my children’s school, and that really seemed to help the children who had problems. But children also use shape etc.

I think children do have freedom in the choice of books, too. Now when I was at school, Enid Blyton (my favourite author) was banned, and we just had one boring book to work through to learn to read – no choice at all.

A lot depends on the individual teacher, too, of course.
  • We must also remember that learning to read in school is only part of the process. I do all the reading scheme set out by the school, yes including phonics at the beginning. I still let my daughter choose her own books from the library and bookshops (charity shops are fantastic for kids books). When she was doing phonics at school I was teaching her whole word reading at home.
    So if we use the school methods and books in partnership with our own preferred methods and books they should have a rounded learning experience.
  • ST you do a good job with your children, you put in an effort because you know that it is good for them. I applaud you.
    But there are a lot of parents out there who don't do what you do. Sometimes it's laziness, others it's a fact that their own education has been poor and they don't have the ability or confidence to do what you do.
    This may seem stereotyping, but it is a fact.
  • No you are right Carol. I do know of other kids parents who think education stops when the school bell rings at twenty past three. It is not always easy or convenient but I feel we have to try to do what we can. If that is even just half an hour a week then fine.
    Apart from the laziness aspect I agree also about the lack of the parent's own education and subsequently their confidence. That is where my daughter's school is also quiet progressive I think.

At the start of every term they have a parent's education twice weekly after school drop off. You can take younger kids or babies into a play area while the parents have lessons.
    These lessons are aimed at immigrants or people where English is not their primary language. But also for parents who need a refresher or help with basic skills. They are shown what the term plan will be for their kids and then helped to learn anything they cannot cope with at home. They do maths and other general studies too. This way the parents can keep a few steps ahead of the kids but always able to help with home based work at a comfortable level. It is completely free and I feel it is a great asset and the way forward.
    Teach the parents so they teach the children and we break the cycle of kids leaving school before further education and without basic skills.
  • That is very forward and progressive thinking, I hope it is a great success.
  • I can remember ITA being taught when I was on my first teaching practice.Children wrote the word as it sounded ie 'writing' was 'riting'.
    Thank goodness schools soon ditched that idea.

Re books in infant schools etc. I go into lots of Primary Schools on supply and agree with Sally that books are every where.Big books, baskets of books, both fiction and not fiction. That's one of the good things resulting from the introduction of the literacy hour.(There aren't many IMO)
    I don't agree with Rosen at all.