Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rejection Collection.com

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I mentioned this website on a previous thread this week, but I just got round to finding it.  I can honestly say that I've had some bad rejection letters, just not this bad!.

Read 'em and Weep  
    Category: publisher

Submitted by: Still a writer - even after rejections

The Letter:

The letter came from a lady who edited at a publishing house in Pennsylvania. She said, in effect: Your manuscript submission to our publishing house is unacceptable. We do not publish erotica or accept unchristian-like material. Perhaps you should consider an affiliation with a religious organization to better prepare you for a different life.

How did this letter make you feel?

First, I was astonished. I had inadvertently sent a romance novel to a Christian publishing company. I didn't know any better, but that didn't impress the lady at all. She simply stated that I should repent my transgressions and do better.

What bothered you the most about this letter?

Nothing. After I read it over a few times, I decided it was more comical than anything else. My only regret is I didn't keep it and frame it. I've had hundreds of rejections since then, and that's the only one that impressed me enough to remember what the lady said.

Additional Comments.

At least, I know she looked at the manuscript or she wouldn't have known it was "erotic." Chances are, she took it home with her and read it after everyone else went to bed.
  • Oh I say, to reject your work because it doesn't fit in with their philosophy is one thing but to criticise your life style is quite another!

Still, I suppose it proves the point that it's worth  making sure we find out all we can about the publishers before submitting. (This isn't a personal remark, by the way, but general - I'm sure that people on this forum are aware of how important it is but sometimes you just can't tell this kind of religious stance from their entries in the handbooks etc)

I sent some of my horror fiction to a publisher who replied with 'we don't do genre fiction' when in fact they had published plenty of horror and still do!

Did you find a market for your erotica in the end?