Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rosen new Children's Laureate

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6740389.stm

Item on BBC webpages that seems to have gone by unmarked.
    Personally I like his work, and his sense of humour.
  • I had thought that children's laureate was a job for life and that Jacqueline Wilson was going to be in post forever! I had no idea it was only a 2 year post. You learn something new every day. Personally I could think of better candidates than Rosen. For tinies I love the books of Nick Sharratt or Mick Inkpen or Jez Alborough, and for older kids there's Philip Pullman or even JK Rowling. By the way, does this mean that Poet Laureate is a temporary job too? Or do we have Andrew Motion until he drops?
  • Hi Viv,
    Poet Laureate used to be a job for life but has now changed to a ten year stint - which means Andrew Motion has about 2 years left. My vote would be for Simon Armitage to be the next Poet Laureate!
  • The great thing about the Children's Laureate post is they have the chance to influence and change some aspect of children reading, or having the availability to read.
    It's good that they set out on the job with an aim.
  • I think Michael Rosen's an excellent choice.

And Roger McGough really ought to be the next Poet Laureate. For me, Armitage started well, but he's become too much of an "academic" poet (much like Motion, in fact). McGough has the common touch, and that's what poetry in the UK desperately needs right now.

My other favoured candidate would be Carol Ann Duffy, but she's already been offered the job once, and turned it down.
  • Hi Amboline
    Sorry, my vote's still for Simon Armitage. While I do agree that he could be considered an 'academic' poet, I think his demotic tone and language keep his work accessible.
    I'm not sure the idea of McGough as Laureate would thrill me. Can we have two Laureate's? ;0)