Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Neil, tell me about Patricia Highsmith

KazKaz
edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Neil, how did you get to meet Patricia Highsmith?
    What was she like? Didn't she have a thing about snails?

I confess I haven't read the Ripley novels, though I did read Carol, which I believe came out of a period when PH was working at a New York toy store. Throughly enjoyed it.

Recently I read her biography and found it fascinating - she seemed like an immensely private person when in the public eye if you know what I mean, but I reckon to the people who knew her intimately, she would have been damn fine company. I would love to have met her in person.

Her book on writing crime fiction, as recommended by Diana Cambridge is really good as well.
  • Hi Kaz,

Re your request for info about Patricia Highsmith.  I've sent you via this site a message requesting a contact address (email). I'll send you a copy of the article I wrote which explains the slightly bizarre way in which I met Pat Highsmith, and gives a flavour of what staying with her was actually like. The article appeared in a literary mag about two years ago.
  • Cheers, Neil, I'm on to it.