Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Pay as you throw article

edited June 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I was inspired by the issue- you know rubbish is a big issue with me anyway!!!

So see how many questions it raised, and some of my suggestions at: http://www.lifestyle.nottinghamshiretimes.co.uk/Payasyouthrow.html

I was very interested in the ArrowBio system mentioned at the end of the article.
  • Very interesting, Carol. Re paying I was wondering what would happen if you lived in a flat, as I do. We have one huge bin and there is no way of knowing who has put what in. Perhaps they would open bags and look for old envelopes for clues(or maybe not as they should be recyled in another bin)
    The Arrowbio system looks good but I guess it is all down to money for these things and who is going to pay. I already feel the council tax is high enough. The standard of refuse collection is not that good either. Rubbish carpets the streets after the refuse collection here.
  • Yes, the flat thing is an issue that doesn't seem to have been considered properly- especially when so many apartments have been built this last two years.
    In fact I think it's a case of 'I've got this great idea, everyone can do it, solves your problems.' But the practicalities are up to someone else to solve.
    In fact some of them are not going to work for certain places and groups.
  • Eventually I will do a follow-up when the issues are clearer, and definite plans are announced.
    What do you all think about this issue? Will it create other problems I've not thought of?
  • I see in the paper today that councils are thinking about charging to get rid of grass cuttings now! Everyone will be tarmacing their gardens over.
  • My main worry is that any attempt to charge the individual for disposing of their rubbish will produce a naton of fly tippers. Our dustmen are tops, quiet punctual and no mess. Our council collects grass cuttings together with all other garden and vegetable waste to produce compost, bags ofwhich re available free. .
  • Our local council has increased charges to dump rubbish and green waste at the landfill to encourage people to recycle. But when you live on a lifestyle block and have about half an acre of lawn that the sheep aren't allowed on, you have to get rid of the lawn clippings somehow! We do have a compost bin and I put all kitchen waste and twigs, etc in that, and I do take our glass, tins and plastics in to the recycling centre in town. We have to pay for rubbish collection as we live in the country and one of our neighbours admits she often goes down after dark and puts rubbish in our bin the night before it is collected, which really annoys me! We pay about $65 every three months and she gets her rubbish collected for free!

The council guy I spoke to said they had to make the cost of tipping high enough to encourage people to reduce their output, but I feel it actually makes people think of ways to dump it without being caught. Thankfully our road is a dead end so it isn't a dumping ground but I can see that happening on other country roads.
  • It's reassuring to know (in some ways)that it isn't only us in the UK who have these problems.
    Why can't the sheep graze on the half acre-is it due to droppings being left behind?
  • The sheep could eat round them?