Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Are there reasons why men won't read women writers?

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Time for the usual Saturday round-up of intersting literary stuff. Not much today, but one or two things.

This article in the online Times looks at the issue again. The comment quoted from Muriel Gray, really offended me.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1900710.ece
  • I agree that Muriel Grey has put her foot in it rather by defining motherhood as a "small-scale domestic theme". She might have seemed less controversial had she suggested "that the reason (some) women authors fail to appeal across the genders is because they focus (too rigidly) on small scale domestic themes" and left it at that.

Before flying off the handle, girls, do read the whole article. This comment refers to a very small point in an interesting article concerning women's writing, but it's a point that clearly rankled Carol - and many other writing mums too I imagine.
  • Ok Muriel's comment aside, it's an interesting article.  Although I'm with Carol, I don't have a career as such, but to me turning two children out who have had the benefit of me being there for them whenever is more important to me.  I am lucky that hubby earns enough that I can stay at home.  None of my writing deals with home, well little of it deals with reality but that's another story.

The thing that does me though with articles like this is the generalisation of the sexes.  Of the men I know I would say half can't stand books, another quarter only read non-fiction, and the other quarter are away with the fairies, demons and orcs of fantasy - of which the majority they read are from female authors - Robin Hobb, Ursula Le Guinn etc.

Oh and just back to Muriel for one moment, I don't know her but I know other women like her and I really don't think they understand the whole 'domestic' thing at all.
  • Neil, it got me pi***d off because it (seemed to) suggest that such domestic issues were what women writers wrote about- nothing more serious. When there are a number of very well reknowned women authors with a wide 'fan' base.
    And for those who do write with the domestic issues in their fiction probably have a much better understanding of it than her.
    Like Nephy, my hubby earns enough to support us just, while allowing me to be there for my sons, attend numerous appointments- which often requires an understanding of psychology, human nature etc, and I write. But my abilities don't just stop there, and I think that is what she has dismissed as inconsequential in any woman writer.
  • What complete twaddle! There are as many women as men among my favourite authors. I would say the website you have quoted is probabl malicious as well as ill informed. One to avoid
  • went and read the item, and left a comment. She is entirely wrong. She needs to think before making such sweeping statements!
  • CH use the link to the Times online in my first post, and give your view in their e-mail submission/response at the bottom of the article.
  • So I am naive because I choose books books regardless of gender then?.  I don't really care, as long as it is a good book.

I must point out that this works the other way.  Men seem to be shocked to learn that women read books by Ian Rankin or John Grisham.

I have one prejudice though.  I don't tend to read crime fiction with a female lead (Martina Cole), but even then I love Val McDermid's Killing The Shadows, and it's such a shame she only wrote one novel with the character Fiona Cameron.
  • Will do Carol. Stirling's comments really got me thinking. Take two excellent wrters of mediaeval crime mysteries, Elllis Peters related a male sleuth, Cadfael and Peter Tremyne tells of Sister Fidelma. If the story is good and well told the gender of the writer or central character does not seem to matter. Joanne Harris produces a wonderful heroine but can even make her main interest a bottle of country wine!
  • When I was younger I probably read more male writers, but that may have been because there hadn't yet been the upsurge in published females.
    It was mentioned in the article that women are not bothered whether a book is written by a man or a woman.