Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Polish censorship of writers

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Having just recently heard of the Telletubbies debacle, this does not surprise me.
    As writers, freedom to express thoughts, opinions and ideas is essential.
    In many countries our 'colleagues' are censored, threatened and murdered.

From the Times online: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1903396.ece
  • oh yes indeed.  its not so long ago that here in france only men were allowed to write or have their own money/property.  any women writers were thrown into lunatic asylums or just killed.  i'm not sure of the reliability of the following fact but i'm sure i remember that a few years prior to that even men weren't allowed to write only nobles and that was only if it passed by the king first.  good old George Sands the first lady in france to kick the establishment up the pants and write!  around this area of france she is somewhat a femanist hero, women speak of her with reverence and in hushed tones - its still rather sexist here.  I worry about how far the UK will go to appease our new european neighbours - is it our turn to be sensored?  if this thread vanishes from sight soon we will know the answer!