Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short Story Formatting

edited June 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Okay, I've never entered a short story competition before, but I am biting the bullet and entering the Red Magazine/Penguin competition.

My question is, is there a certain way to lay it out?.  Do I send it as it is, or do I lay it out like I am submitting to an agent with double line spacing, indents and margins?.

Help please!.
  • lay it out as you would any manuscript, double spacing, indents, page numbers and unless they indicate otherwise, cover sheet. Be professional, it counts in a competition. Best of luck with it!
  • Thanks Dorothy.  Should have known you would come to my rescue!.
  • Some months ago, Judith Cutler visited our book club and very kindly reviewed some of our work with helpful advice and comments. One of the points I took away with me was that the very first paragraph of a new chapter or major section in any work, short or long, is not indented, but every subsequent one is.

Looking over some of her published books this is the format used by the publisher.
  • well done stirling for asking that question i have often wondered that myself.  i know that most competitions wont consider work that isnt exactly as stated but would you perhaps put your name and the title on the top of every sheet even if it doesnt say to? the writing magazine comps don't say what to do.
  • Most competitions prefer anonymity, with writer's name only on a separate sheet. It makes judging much fairer. So I would definitely say no to putting name on every sheet. Always check the rules.