Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Congratulations Josie

edited June 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hey Josie, you're at number one on YWO. Congratulations.
  • lol! Yes, I'm going to hold off for a while and just put the minimum of one credit every 7 days on each of them. I think this is prudent. I do have something else to upload but going to wait till next month so I can concentrate on these. I really want Leif to be there too - that would be a hat trick. cool.
  • Josie, I'm happy to repeat my congratulations. It's a fabulous achievement.

(I think I read that only one book by any author can go through to the bestsellers. That'll need checking, but there's some limit somewhere.)
  • Congratulations Josie - great acheivement. I hope I get assigned one of yours in the near future - they sound fascinating reading.
  • Thanks for the congrats. I don't know about an author only going in once, will have to check that out. But Resurrection is a short story and Clean Water a novel so maybe it will go into a different category?

With Leif - I agree that the story is hugely important but my point there is that so many people have said that if I wrote it in plain English without the dialect then it would make it saleable - but this would turn it into just another Viking story, whereas at the moment it's unique. The reason I put it on YWO was because I'd had differing opinions about it - a bit like Marmite, very strong feelings on both sides. So I wanted as much feedback as possible to see who won out overall. At the moment it's on the side of 'keep the language' so I'm happy about that. The funny thing is that both of my top five books were afterthoughts, Leif was my main upload. But again, I'm not complaining - it gets me exposure and that's what I'm hankering after at the moment.
  • Congrats Josie!
  • Josie, I might be on the wrong track about having two books. It's worth e-maling YWO to be sure.

I haven't read Leif yet (I'm so busy with the Slave and school stuff) but I find what you say interesting. I've just done my penultimate edit and strengthened the impurities in the narrative voice. It gives the text identity. I'm  reminded of a scsne in Kerouac's On the Road when he arrives in New Orleans and goes into a jazz club and has no interest in the technically perfect musicians. He is taken by the one stretching for something more expressive, missed notes and all. 
  • no worries Tracy! I understood that you were saying it was the synopsis that needed rewording. I take your point re the story. I'll have a think about expressing that slightly differently.
  • Hi Howard, I was going to email YWO to ask about the ‘one book per author’ limit, but checked the bestsellers first and found that Mo Fanning has two books in the Chicklit section, ‘Help’ at no1 and ‘Not a Cloud in the Sky’ at no4. So phew, panic over. But if I do get these into the bestsellers then I’ll stop there and concentrate on other writing, just nipping in to do the occasional critique.
  • Well done Josie!
  • No problem Josie. I'm sorry I worried you. Too many things going round this old brain at the moment.
  • Um, I may not be no1 tomorrow. *sob* just had a low mark review. Ah well, it comes and it goes. This is number seven so when I get my eighth I can delete.
  • Hum, well even tho' I got a low mark (a 2!!) I've still got 4.5 as an overall. So maybe I won't get knocked off the top spot. Do I stay up till midnight to find out? Um... no. going to bed, night night.
  • Resurrection is at no 20! omg! what a drop. boo-hoo. Oh well, Clean Water is still in the top ten.