Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Villans vs Political Correctness?

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Anthony Horowitz has written an article for the Daily Mail on Villans and political correctness at this link:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=459926&in_page_id=1770

It's mainly aimed at children's fiction, but I think there are points there for the rest of us too.
  • Cheers, Stirling, I'm just off to check out the link.
  • I've just read it.  It doesn't leave us much to work with that won't offend at least one of the pressure groups.  Perhaps the answer is to stick to historical fiction, then we can cite less enlightened attitudes in the past.
  • Thanks Stirling I'll have a look after I've finished my short story.
  • Some of the sketches in 'Little Britain' are far from being 'politically correct', so how can they get away with it?
  • I think that it acts as a warning against writing two dimensional characters.  That it is no longer acceptable for someone to do a bad thing just because they are Muslim, or Russian etc that a motive should go deeper, more psychological.  Give a them a backstory that would explain why they do these things.

I know when I first started writing my novel, my villian's motive for kidnap was so weak I can't even remember it now(!), but now he is the father of a boy who has been killed by a convicted Paedophile, and is wreaking revenge against the Politicians and Judges that failed to send his son's killer to prison.

What I think it means is the days of the James Bond villian are gone.