Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Googling

edited May 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• It's certainly intriguing to Google one's name. I did Malcolm Welshman this morning to discover there were threads re talks I'm to give.  The Quantock Hills Diary was packed with events coming up and mentioned me as  'having treated and written about animals from rabbits to rhinos.'  And West Sussex County Council - Worthing has   'come and hear this lively and entertaining author'
    Er, pardon me. This is all their own interpretation. They haven't a clue whether I'm going to be 'lively and entertaining' or that I've written about rhinos.  (haven't actually...) Oh well.  All good fun. It will be interesting to see whether any more turn up on Google and what is said.
  • I thought MW was anyway.
  • Well, Mr Welshman is certainly punny!!
  • At least you won't be short of opening lines.

"A funny thing was written about me on the web...."
  • It pays to google yourself. I do this occasionally as a way of checking how much publicity I’m getting. I hadn’t done it for a while but this afternoon I wondered if my YWO books would turn up so I tried (they did). However I also noticed that something I’d written for another site was reprinted without my permission elsewhere! They did put my name to it, which I’m quite glad about because I might not have seen it otherwise. This makes me wonder how much else of my work is reposted online without my name being on it, and I’m thinking of googling random sentences from some of the stories to see if they are reproduced elsewhere. The site in question is a sort of news blog, I suppose like Readers’ Digest. Check out here: http://shannonmugler.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=2

I couldn’t believe it when I saw the exact full text of my article republished! I’ve sent them a strongly worded email, do you think I’m being too nice? ;-)

Hi, I noticed an article I wrote (Bisexuals Join The Party) is published on your blog. Whereas I’m flattered that you’ve done this, and I appreciate that you’ve put my name to it (though not the correct date, it was first published in November 2006 in Velvet Magazine and subsequently reprinted on PlanetSappho site with permission), what you’ve done is in breach of copyright. If you want to keep the article on your blog I suggest you put a link to my own site, www.josiehenley.net, the site where the article was originally published online, www.planetsappho.com/lesbian-writing/bisexuals-join-the-party.html, and perhaps also the Velvet site, www.velvet-mag.co.uk. You also need to ask permission from both of these companies. I’d also suggest that in future if you want to reproduce someone else’s work, you do your best to contact them for permission first. I am all over the internet and it’s not too difficult to find my email address if you know my full name, which you do.
  • This is one of those areas of problem Josie. I hope they respond appropriately, but unfortunately not all sites do so, and some even claim that it's okay because it's in the public domain already, even though they've infringed copyright.
    I always check both Yahoo and Google on a Monday morning.
    I had some bad problems last year, so check regularly now, as a safety precaution.
  • A couple of years ago I was surprised to find that some of my postings to forums (e.g. Friends Reunited) appeared when I did a Google search of my name.

Now I just assume that anything and everything is likely to turn up, which is why I'm quite cautious about how much personal information I post.
  • I find that what turns up varies from time to time.
    Some forums are better than others at what appears in search listings. But is is wise to be aware of where you are mentioned.
    And especially to keep track of your work appearing somewhere you don't expect it to.
  • I've certainly found it useful as a means to keep track of publicity.  eg this talk I'm to give on the 7th June as part of the Durrington Festival in Worthing.  It was arranged through the West Sussex Library Services and other than a time of arrival at the Library in Durrington, that's all I knew about it. But the Google search on my name has brought up details of the Festival and I discover I'm in a news item on Spark FM a local radio station. I then learn that as part of celebrating this Festival the Library is putting on two 'special' events - one of which is this talk by me with a book signing afterwards.  So it's all much higher profile than I'd envisaged...which actually makes me a little more nervous.  But at least it gives me a better feel of what it's all about. And that's thanks to Google.
  • Good to hear the profile is going well. Hope you have enough books left for the signing.
  • Hi Carol.  Impressed you remember the supply problem re copies of Pets in Prospect.  I've currently 12 books for sale.  We'll have to see what the uptake is like on Thursday. Maybe able to sell up to six or so. I've been told by Robert Hale that these events don't actually shift many books.  How's that for giving me encouragement? Esp as it's going to be a six hour round trip to give the talk and I don't get a fee.  Mmmm. Still I guess it's all part of the ongoing publicity drive though I have to confess it's beginning to tyre me out.
  • I have a memory for holding all sorts of information, that may seem pointless but always comes in useful somewhere!
    I think Robert Hale are being slightly pessamistic about potential sales. When I have been to events like this, the chance to get a signed copy of the book is an advantage.
    Just in case you have more interest than books available, print out some forms for potential buyers to fill out. This will not only tell you how much interest there is and people wanting a copy, but also as a reminder to the publisher.
  • Excellent tip that....Thanks Carol.