Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The News of the World

edited June 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I'll let you all know when the Express article will be published...I had an interview with the News of the World yesterday about pro-anorexia sites. We are hoping to get a number of them closed down by increasing the media attention...that should be in on sunday! Brilliant. (:
  • great news.  good for you mm.
  • Really good news MM.
  • Well done MM!
  • You are a star, MM. Long may your light shine...!
  • sorry if i'm being too personal, but when you were ill, mm (if you can ever fully recover from anorexia, that is) did you ever visit pro-ana sites? if you did, what did you think of them at the time?
    see, i've always had a sticky relationship with food. while i would never completely starve myself, i do find it shockingly easy to cut back to almost nothing in order to lose weight. i lose it quickly, and then pile it back on when i start eating "normally" again. i'm a classic yo-yo dieter.
    i have a seriously distorted view of myself, in that my friends and family say i'm thin, but at a size 14, i think i'm almost obese.
    however, whenever i see stories about those sites, it shocks me. i can't believe i would not eat for vanity, when girls (and boys, of course) out there are dying from anorexia and bullimia- something that takes a lot of strength to come away from. i really admire that you've had the courage to get yourself help, and get yourself healthy, and are now using your experiences to help others to recover from their illnesses. xxx
  • Well done!
  • Thank you ever so much for having the courage to talk openly. (: I have been recovered from Anorexia for about six months, but I still do suffer from depression (As our Talkback family will be only too aware!)I suffered from 14 to 19 which is a heck of a long time...and such a waste of life. But I have learnt such a lot that I can pass to others, I suppose, in many ways it was worth going through it.  Although saying that, I woulnd't wish it on my worst enemy. Things in life happen for a reason and I belive I was supposed to have an encounter with anorexia during a portion of my life. I used to feel ever so guilty about eating when I was recovering, thinking about the starving children in third world countries and so on, but, would they want you to be wasting food over them? I realised not. We live as individuals. We need to cater, literally, for our individual needs. ENJOY FOOD. ENJOY LIFE. Its taken me a long time, but I've finally built up an ability to be able to do that and there is no reason why others should be held back.

Please email me if you like and we can discuss other aspects, our post here. (:
  • Concerning the Pro ana sites I used to visit them when I had been discharged from hospital and they 'assisted' me in losing a drastic amount of weight and almost needing to be re-admitted. They are sick, inhumane sites that need to be abolished. They drive families apart and destroy lives.

A character in the novel I am writing actually visits the sites and is strongly influenced by them.
  • I believe that although I may not agree with a view or even understand it, my opinion is just that. An opinion based on my own prejudices (perhaps). Clearly, some distorted 'facts' are terribly dangerous. Erroneous information that is damaging should be removed. Sometimes by reviewing others' views it is more likely that I will understand a subject better, but perhaps be more opposed to that view as a result. Greater understanding can produce a stronger standpoint. Learnings are to be had whether they are spiritual (I think so) or something else. Ultimately, it can only make us more understanding people and as such more helpful to those who need it. Or just ask for it.

I wrote a short story a couple of years ago:

http://www.creativeplot.co.uk/Let_Talk.htm