Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Daily Express Interview

Comments

• Hi everyone! Well, its just under an hour until my film studies exam but I thought I'd let you all know that yesterday Mum and I spent the day in London being interviewed for the Daily Express Woman magazine and having a fantastic time at the photo shoot. I was introduced to fabulous new colours greens and blues...and received the most wonderful compliment EVER...apparently I looked like Dita Von Teese...omg! Oh, and Lily Cole too...hehe! I wish...anyway, it went really well and, now for the big news...I have been offered a work placement on the magazine during the summer working on the fashion and literary side.

On the down side...if I do work experience with the Daily Express, will that hinder my chance to work with the Guardian and The Independent (both of which I read daily). Mum has said that as a journalist you have to be non-biast really...and I agree..but I'm still anxious. I've had three letters published already in the Guardian and had a little piece about me in the Independent.
  • Fantastic, wonderful, brilliant, wow! Sounds amazing, well done you! Take the placement and enjoy every minute - it sounds like an opportunity that might never be repeated! Oh, and good luck with the exam too of course!
  • Wow what an opportunity- go for it.
    Congratulations on everything MM, you deserve every good bit.
    Hope the exam goes well.
  • Congratulations MM. Id say you've been made an offer you can't refuse.
  • Hi MM,
    While I agree it's a great opportunity, not to be missed, and well done! I can't help wondering if it might be worth approaching the Guardian and Independent to see if they have work placements - explain how well you are doing with your writing and it might pay off - if that's what you would prefer.

Good luck with it all,
    Moira.
  • Congrats!
  • Feeling pretty confident people! Its ver with...left out a lot of info, I know, but I managed to get an A in my january exam and an A in my coursework so if I don;t do that great I have those two results to fall back on. Thanks for the support everyone!
  • Hello????????

Grab your chances.  Life's far too short.  OK??
  • Morning MorbidMaiden,

I trust the exam went as planned.

As to the rest of your opening post, I have had to read this THREE times. You're b***dy incredible and this just about takes the biscuit!

Can this really be the same woman who was concerned that she was losing creativity, direction and other demoralising attributes?
    You beauty. Put a huge feather in the biggest hat you can find and prance forward with certainty. Well done.

Now stop procrastinating, do as others have already suggested, grab every opportunity and most importantly of all, enjoy.
    Oh, neither three published letters nor a little mention equate to an actual OFFER of work experience. Emphasis on experience not work employment, so you can use this in your C.V. when applying to your favoured career papers.

Good Luck, good health, I'm so pleased I could hug you.
  • Wow MM! Congratulations, this one has come along for a reason!
  • Jan, you put that really well and said it all for me, too.  Hmmmm, don't forget, MM, there's always the forever-expanding giant armchair for Talkbackers to curl up in on those days we lose confidence or heart.

Yes, you are doing brilliantly, you star!  Grab all your chances while you have them... TTxx
  • I agree. What a fantastic opportunity - I'd be inclined to say jump at it!

And congratulations on the interview as well. Sounds as if it went really well. Even more importantly - it's getting your message out there, that for other people who are going through what you've had to suffer, there is not only hope but a world of possibility.
  • Did the exam go well? When will the Daily Express piece be out? And good luck with the placement!
  • When do you get the results of exam, MM??  Duh, this is worse than worrying for our four children's exams and events!  And what a great day you had with the Express.  Did you take up the work placement?

Look, that was one of the best things I could have done recently.  After five months of that at the place I actually wanted to work, I was finally offered a well-paid post in a much bigger, better library.  It worked for me but then I am much older and there was age against me (on paper, that is - in real life, you'd think I was 25 ha ha ha ha ha).

You can still take your Express work-experience with you into applications for, say, the Indie or Grauniad.  The experience will have stood you in good stead and shown that you're prepared to work hard to get what you want.