Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Let's hear about the benefits of Talkback.

edited April 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi folks.  Just thought I'd like to massage all your egos out there. In my time on Talkback I've found it interesting to get feedback on various topics (puns apart <g>) and some helpful tips re jacket designs and giving talks. I was actually quite touched this afternoon, courtesy of TessaTangent, who had bought my book, Pets in Prospect, read it and then was thoughtful enough to take the time to write a very well balanced and helpful review which she posted to me on MySpace.com. It made my afternoon. Thanks TT.
    Let's hear from others who have benefited from this message board and sing the praises of its wordy cause.
    Cheers
    Malcolm
  • I know where to find someone who can answer a query if I'm having trouble with the computer or a Word document.
    I and others can share any interesting snippets we come across.
    Even though I'm by myself in the living room, I can communicate with lots of different writers and it's like being in a room with a big group of friends.
  • I love the fact that we can support each other, without the jealousies that run riot among other writers.

Not only has the advice I recieved here helped me through my final chapters and given me a great big boost when I felt so low last week, thanks to Carol's tip, I am submitting to the Daily Mail/ Transworld competition.

Who knows, this time next year I could be holding my book in my hands.
  • MW, no need for that, my pleasure indeed.  It was a fun book and I wouldn't have got through it as quickly if it hadn't been.

This has been a family to someone who has lost most of her family.  People on here have been amazingly kind to me when I've been beset by the most crippling doubts - often brought on by my bipolar thing but not always.  They say "go for it" and that's what I've been doing.  Beavering away here on, now, the 2nd draft.  I don't think I'd have got that far if it hadn't been for many people on WN, many of whom have become firm, if only emailing, friends.

I've followed many a WN-er on their journey.  Stirling, I remember, was just applying for the Uni when I first came across her - now she's all set to go.  We don't email but I follow her endeavours with interest.  Same as the rest.

I've met up with people from WN.  Taffetapunk, Hippo, Jay and Kangaroo (from Australia) to name some.  I kept up with Luckypen while she was in Singapore.  She's half my age but we are always in touch.  She's just started new job and is knackered, by the way.

WN people are generous with help and sharing their experience.  When you have some problem, as Carol says, you can bet someone's found a way to solve it, be it with the PC or in some writing issue.

I can't believe that, having received WN hard copies for around at least 16 years, I didn't get on to this website sooner.

I think of this as my virtual writing group.  The members' characters and personalities come through in the way they write even the smallest post.

I had a great tutor in Bernadine Everisto way back in 1989 (? I think) who was my group leader for a writing group here in South London.  Not long after being in her group, I started getting published.  I just need a kick up the backside from you lot every now and again.

So, for me, WN has been a fantastic kick up, er, THAT then! 
  • The advice, encouragement and support found here are amazing. Talkback is currently helping me write more than ever in spite of walking away from the debris of one life towards an - as yet -unclear future. It's a bit like having a bar full of friendly faces next door; on my busiest days at work I pop in just to get away from the demands. In my free time, I hang around a bit more because the company is so good. 
  • it just feels like you have a huge friend always on hand to help with any problem.
  • I was so upset by Bad Vibes' flaming of this wonderful forum I fired off a letter to WN. It will appear in the July issue.  I wouldn't be without any of you.  After the emails, it's the first place I visit in the morning (at work!) and drop in and out all day, between boring editing, or other mind numbing work.  A few minutes here and there makes all the difference to the way I feel.
  • I always pop in first thing, as I find it helps get my brain geared up for writing- which I'm off to do in a few minutes- congestion charging awaits!
  • I like it here.  I don't always have much to add
    but I find myself nodding in agreement or jotting down notes, tips, jokes when I read through threads.  It's a place to go when everywhere is closed, and a place where people understand when the rest of the world just don't get it.  Thanks folks!
  • I discovered Talkback while on long-term sick leave after a breakdown and was amazed at the wonderful people who offered (continuing) friendship, support, understanding, advice and 'hugs' whenever needed.  I have gained a couple of good penfriends (and a further 2 who sadly are no longer with us - Grandpa and Margaret). You are all very special people.  Long live Talkback.
    Hugs from
    Hush Puppy
  • I second everything already said! It feels like being a member of a big family, with help, love, support and even the occasional spats!I pop in at least twice a day, even if I don`t contribute much. I don`t know anyone here in Germany who writes,except for a couple of guys who write for the free local newspapers. And if it hadn`t been for Talkback, I`d never have "met"  Hush Puppy!
  • And I'm here for the chocolate!
  • Only kidding. I love the sense of 'virtual' companionship. I love that as fast as I can ask a stupid writing question it's answered with sincerity and intelligence. I love that I feel inspired by communicating with published authors. I love that un-published writers are also willing to lend a helping hand. I love that I don't feel 'put down' because I'm yet to be published. I love that Talkbackers take the time to lift my spirits when they detect I'm a bit low. I love that people care enough to personally email just when you think you're out there on the end of the limb all alone, dangling over a raging river. I love that sometimes I feel useful when I'm able to point someone in the right direction. And gee, I just love the warm, snuggly feeling of 'home' when I click on that Talkback button.

And the chocolate.
  • Just the thought of chocolate...mmm...
  • It's a wonderful feeling that one can ask any questions and there'll always be someone who'll know the answer to it.  Talkback is like having friends on tap. 
  • I'll second that. 
  • Yes...friends on tap indeed. Least then they don't make you feel like a drip. Or pull the plug on you when you're feeling low. Sorry..I might be on the wrong thread.  Whatever, great sentiments being expressed here.  A nice bunch; a cut above the rest. Crikey I'm off again. Must up the dose of tablets. Love and kisses to all.
  • Aaah WM - you're a sweetie.  Everyone who comes here is a sweetie. There's always a cuddle just when you need one.
  • The big benefit is you can come here and chat rather than writing a book.
  • A needed break sometimes.
  • Well, I think you're all said all there is to say. So what can I say? Talkback (with WN/WM) encourages me to keep writing. I enjoy the friendship and fun.
  • I love the sense of learning from other people. We are such a diverse group in terms of ages and life experience, beliefs, political agendas, interests and things that matter to us. And despite the occasional row, we're a far more harmonious bunch than any other I've found on the internet. The insights and ideas I've taken from all of you are wonderful grist to the writer's mill (offhand, I can think of at least 2 of my poems which have been inspired by Talkback conversations - one of which has gone on to become a performance favourite when I'm open-mic-ing). So thanks, and long may it continue!
  • What greater complement can there be to everyone here, than to have been the inspiration to a fellow writer- however small that may have been.
  • after i log on in work, i check my emails then come on here. i'm logged on 9-5 monday to friday, and i wonder what everyone is up to when i'm off and away on the weekend.
    after only recently beginning to crack on with my writing, entering competitions etc, i love how much support i get from this site, how open everyone is about even the most controversial subjects- from faith to the sex-or-food? debate, and how there's always someone to chat to between bad customers on the phone.
    long live talkback!
  • Trust.
    Security.
    That special comfort, only found between true friends, that enables any one of us to bare our souls on any matter in certain knowledge that others will comprehend and support ones efforts to resolve the dilemma.
    Camaraderie.
  • “This is a chat and advice forum without a great deal of graphics and fancy stuff, but with a terrific bunch of people who are a mixture of professional writers and beginners and a variety of ages and locations. They are mostly concentrating on writing and not all of them are particularly net-savvy so it’s a very user friendly site for beginners to forums.”

I wrote the above this afternoon, while my hedge-trimmer battery was recharging. I’m revamping my writing page of my website. At the moment I’ve got a link to Talkback and other writing sites but not much about them.
  • I just want to put this thread on the top of the pile where it should be.
  • Precisely, Howard.
  • Thanks, Stan. (Oops, done it again!)
  • hear hear.

I was quite gobsmacked about 'you know which one' but I find the best thing to do with negative energy is to create lots of positive. So...

I've made so many friends on this site and learned so many things, not just about writing and publishing, but all sorts of snippets of information, that it's at the top of my list of favourite writing sites on my newly revamped online writing webpage (soon to be uploaded).

I'm glad IG stuck around and I hope that others that were wavering for a while will as well. We all need positive people in our lives.

I've been encouraged by all the congratulations over my successes and good lucks over my inteview (still haven't heard yet, clock watching today). I've pointed people to youwriteon and have seen their work there, and I've had positive feedback on mine. Overall, even with an occasional flaming, this site is the best. Not because of fancy graphics and features, but simply the people in the community.
  • I always like that no matter what time of day or night, if I am stuck with a question only writers or fellow subscribers can help me with, there is someone who responds really quickly! They might not always be able to help, but just knowing they are there is reassuring! It is like another world I can tap into whenever I have the need or the time.

Of course I never do have much time between juggling my work - editing reports online -, running and hosting an expanding expat group for last 3 years, a 21 month old son, a home, a writers News correspondence course, entering comps, 2 cats, a husband, and household finances!!!!

Talk of the devil, my little man is awake, so personal time over!
    Miranda
  • For me it's inspiration. At times, when I'm staring blankly at the screen and the fingers don't feel like moving, I have a look at TB. The success stories of the others gets me into motion and the grey cells wake up.
  • It is a wonderful way to receive mutual support, share so much in common, relieve stresses,share problems, even the most intimate of nature. Share successes and interesting achievements. All together, a wonderful message board. To use a corruption of the national anthem, long may it reign
  • :-)  (says it all, really!)
  • I like the togetherness as friends and writing colleagues, just like one big family and the way we give each other the motivation to write.
  • I have found the support here extremely valuable in my initial foray into the writing world.  Any questions I've had have been answered and my small successes have been lauded - which has added to the pleasure of getting something in print.  I love reading all the threads and, even though I've never met anybody, I feel as though I know you all.  It's not just about writing, though, is it?  I think we support each other in so many different ways.  I know I'm not the only one to think about people when they're ill or having a bad time and to root for them when they're going for an interview etc.  Long may it continue.
  • You said it all, megrose.  And long may it continue.  I wonder if WN will ever write about our time on here one day.  I'd do an article at the drop of a pen.  Because many of us have masses of support here, in a way that our 'flesh' friends, who aren't writers, just can't give or understand.
  • That is a very important thing TT. Although we write different things, have different experiences and backgrounds, we have certain aspects as writers in common.
    I know I can explain an idea or reasoning and it will be understood, I won't have to explain something numerous times as I would with some non-writers.
  • Yes, definitely being on the same wavelength helps.  So when Talkbackers congratulate others for their successes however small, those messages are all the more meaningful as we all know the anguish and hard graft that lie behind getting into print.