Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ian McEwan

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Hello everybody!

Like I said...been away for some time. But the Dutch girl is here again. Have read a lot these past few months and only recently bought a copy of "On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan. Because I LOVE his books (my favourite being "Atonement") I couldn't wait to start reading it. But...as is the case with long expected things...I was very disappointed while reading the book. This was not the McEwan I knew. Have more of you read this book? And what did you think of it? And if there are more McEwan fans, what is your favourite novel?
    Well...hope to be here more often in June. Taking off for France in July and August,...writing of course...and doing a bit of holiday making :o)
    Ciao!
  • Accidentally read Enduring Love and was bowled over by it. So I rushed out and bought Saturday as that had recently come out when I finished and man was that a let down. I put the book down three times over a month and finally decided there are too many books to keep fighting with this one and gave it away without finishing. The experience has tainted me about McEwan,thought I have heard Atonement is quite brilliant so I may check it out.

I guess I was just lucky to have read his best work to begin with.
  • I didn't like Atonement after reading Enduring Love.  What a pile of crap.  It had been hyped up to the max by his chums and all in the business.  I couldn't give a f***.  I want it to be readable and enjoyable.  Gave up on that a third of the way through. 

He shouldn't be resting on his laurels, that's for sure.  None of us should. 
  • However, I liked Saturday.  Maybe it had something to do with being a Londoner and I knew from experience the situations he was describing.
  • Listened to on Chesil Beach on Radio 4's Book at Bedtime slot. Heard the first 15 minute slot and wanted to throw something at the radio.
    He was waffling, not getting on with the story, and on the next night I fell asleep three minutes in.
    Heard Attonement when B at B did that, and generally enjoyed it.
  • I've found these comments really interesting. I've read 'Saturday' and 'On Chesil Beach' and really enjoyed them both. I found the depth of characterisation fascinating. I've also got 'Enduring Love' and 'Atonement' on my TBR pile, and i'm looking forward to both of them.

Rich
  • I enjoyed Saturday but found it caustrophobic. I liked Atonement and Enduring Love but I thought his prose style in Black Dogs was exceptional.
  • Does 'caustrophobic' mean you've been at the wrong bottle again, Howard?  (As a non-drinker, I enjoy all this)
  • I must be odd. I enjoy it when some writers waffle. I know it seems to be looked down on, but some of them can just waffle brilliantly. In my opinion, anyway,

I just love it when someone like Philip Roth, or McEwan, or Updike goes on a roll and lets the words take them where they will. It breeds a weird creativity all of its own.

As I say, it's something I like, it's not to everyone's taste.

Rich
  • (He he, TT! I've been on the wagon for about 6 weeks now. Too much of the fermented grape juice rioj(a)'s my boat!)

(Richard, I couldn't agree more about Roth. Sometimes I loathe his characters but the writing is irresistible...)

Now back to McEwan...
  • Who read The Cement Garden?  That was the first of his I tried years back and found it horribly satisfying.
  • I've read almost everything by McEwan, but not yet 'Chesil Beach'. The only one of his novels which I did not enjoy at all was 'Amsterdam', found it too Hampsteady-arty-middle-class in its concerns and characters.  Other than that, he only varies in the level of his subtle brilliance (or brilliant subtlety?).  I think I'd nominate 'Atonement' as his finest piece, or 'A Child in Time'.

The 'Cement Garden' was horrible and bleak, but as Tessa said, satisfyingly so.

What some of you call 'waffling', I would call building an atmosphere. 'Saturday' is slow and meticulous, just like its main character, the neurosurgeon. After an initial attack of impatience, I enjoyed the slowness of the plot development - especially as the sudden change of pace towards the end is all the more gripping for it.
  • Really loved "The Cement Garden". I try to read his books in English though...translations can be so horribly 'off-style'(if that word exists....)
    By the way...I'm in London for the next 3 days! So finally able to buy the latest copy of 'Writing Magazine'.