Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

18th Century Frigate for sale- replica of course

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Saw this piece in the online Mail. The ship that was built for the Hornblower series is up for sale- a suggested alternative to a Lear jet.
    If I just had the money and a big enough dock...shame.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=456233&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=
  • Sorry, it wouldn't fit in my living room.
  • I remember being a kid and my dad taking me down to the Pier Head to go on board The Onedin Line ship. I could not believe that something that I watched on TV was real it was fantastic. The crew were all members of the TV cast who were doing it as a PR thing to Liverpool, I know that now but at the time TV came alive to me.
  • I still watch repeats of that with utter bafflement: one moment you see a bit of film of a huge tall-ship rounding the Cape with 500 caskets of wine on board and later the same ship is seen tying up at the dock, about the size of canal barge, with just enough deck-space to hold 3 people, and everyone`s going on about the safe return and whew-that-was-close...Always makes me laugh. But I loved that series. Wonder what became of the actors, especially "James"..
  • Some of the old black and white films had woderful effects. Ships that were so obviously models you expected to see the operators hands any minute
  • And what about the space ships in "Flash Gordon", where you can see they`re hanging on threads, with sparklers burning at one end.
  • About this frigate .... should we club together and buy it? Then we could take it in turns to look after it.

There's a brook at the bottom of our road, so perhaps we could actually set sail!