Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The first record you bought was?

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Thought I'd make this a seperate thread for everyone.
    As said before, the first two records I bought as a teenager were Lola by the Kinks, and Sugar Sugar by the Archies.
    What about the rest of you?
  • 'Baby, I don't care' by Buddy Holly.  I'd just sold my doll's house to buy a record player!
  • I think ... becaause it was so long ago ... it was Tommy Steele's Singing The Blues on 78 rpm ...
  • "No Doubt About It" Hot Chocolate 1980
    "Could You Be Loved?"  Bob Marley and the Wailers 1980
  • For a long time, I only had a dinky tape player and two tapes recorded for me by a friend. When I finally got the use of a record player (shared with my brother, alternative weeks!) I went out and spent all my money on LPs - The Beatles' "Revolver", John Lennon's "Imagine" and "Sometime in New York City" and Ringo Starr's "Ringo".

Spot the theme?
  • It was Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris and it cost 7/6 - (about 42p in 'now' money).I no longer have a copy which is a shame because I still enjoy the song immensely, it makes me smile or cry depending on my mood. 
  • Single - If You Leave Me Now by Chicago (it was Noel Edmonds' record of the year)
    Album - The Most of Herman's Hermits
    ...I was very, very young!
  • "You belong to me" sung by Jo Stafford. Fis heard it being played in the NAFFI while on night patrol in thck snow
  • 'If you are going to San Fransico,' by Scott Mckenzie.
    (Second was Paddy Mcginty's Goat by Val Doonican. For some odd reason I was mad on him as a teenager!) Is he still around?
  • Desmond Dekker: You Can Get It If You Really Want.  Now, thereby hangs a tail :O)
  • "Telstar" - can`t remember who it was by - but going back a bit....Still got it somewhere.
  • giving my age away here - Rock Around The Clock - Bill Hailey
  • 'Girl of my Best Friend' - Elvis - which I've still got.  I could only afford one record at a time, so played it over and over again.
  • Don't give up on us - David Soul.  As I had been bought a record player for my birthday and that was the only thing I had I played it over and over and over. 

Then mum and dad started buying me those Top of the Pops albums, you know the ones where hit songs were re-done by unknown artists and I can honestly say I know why most of them were unknown - they were terrible!!!
  • I'm showing my age now...Starman - David Bowie.  I still have it!
  • I'm sorry to double post...but I've been wracking my brains out, trying to think what was on the B-side of Don't give up us baby - David Soul...and its just come to me, so i just have to share...LOL  It was, I belive, 'Black Eyed peas'.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Jimmy Young's 'Too Young.' Everybody in our town must have bought it as I had to put down my name on a 'waiting list.' We kept playing it over and over until our mothers gave in with the idea we were 'too young,' and gave their approval to our boyfriends.
  • Nope Panda  you are correct.  Funnily enough its the only David Soul record I owned.  A couple of years later punk appeared and that was me on the rocky road to ruin
  • This should probably be embarrassing, but I was only six, and I remember buying it - it was Making Your Mind Up by Bucks Fizz.  Funnily enough, not only do I still have it, but I have plenty of other stuff by them as well.  Despite being a clichéd teeny group, I genuinely loved them, and I still have a soft spot for them now.
  • Megrose, that Elvis record was one of Joanna Lumley`s 8 Desert Island records last Saturday!
  • Mungo Jerry.... In The Summertime
  • I loved those Top of the Pops albums, Nephilim's child. Still have one in the loft.
  • These are taking me back...
  • Ah well, Joanna Lumley and I are of an age, you see Jany.  She may have worn a lot better than me, but she is still 23 days older!
  • My first were singles (what we called 45s) - Keep on Running by the Spencer Davis Group, and You Were Made for Me by Freddie and the Dreamers. My dad worked at Harrods and got a discount but I think they cost something like 6shillings and 8pence each in those days - about 34p. I didn't own an LP for a long time.
  • I remember it well, it was the soundtrack from Sunshine, the truth-based movie about the woman dying of cancer who recorded diaries for her young daughter. It starred Cliff de Young and he sung on the soundtrack. I still have it and it can still make me cry!
  • Oh how weird!  I've hardly ever met anyone who's heard of that film, 'Sunshine', which I loved at that time, too.  The song goes 'Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy... sunshine in my something makes me smile' (you can tell I'm ad-libbing!)

It was such a great film at the time.  I remember bawling myself hollow.
  • "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
    Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
    Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
    Sunshine almost always makes me high"

Dare I mention my first? Donny Osmond. There, I've said it!
  • Boy! That shut everybody up, didn't it?!
  • Starpanda: 'Don't Give Up on Us' had 'Black Bean Soup' on the 'B' side.
    My first was 'Blockbuster' by Sweet. I had no taste ;0)
  • Those were the days Scribe- the high heels, sparkly outfits, long hair etc.
  • ha...I was close thoguh!  heehee
  • Paul McCartney's Pipes of Peace, then Toto's Africa (still my all time favourite), but I coveted (and still do) my Dad's Peter, Paul and Mary in Concert Album albun though it didn't have Leaving On A Jet Plane on it.  I've got it on tape but it just ain't the same as the vinyl.
  • IG, fantastic!  I'll only admit it here (don't tell everyone) but with "Puppy Love" I went weak at the knees and elbows when he went "Somebody help me, help me plee-ee-ee-ease" :O)  Memories, memories.
  • Don't remind me, I was there too. I admit it, I was a teenybopper!
  • single - I'm The Leader of The Gang (I am) by Gary Glitter.

album - The Muppet Show Soundtrack that includes the classic Robin song 'Halfway Down The Stairs'. I still remember the lyrics.

To defend myself here, I was a child at those times.

The first artist that I followed as a fan was Gary Numan when 'Are Friends Electric' came out as it was a sound that hooked me like no other.
  • Writeman, no need to make excuses for the Muppet record! Muppets are cool, and so is Sesame Street. My teenage daughters and I occasionally put on their old numbers album and groove along to Oscar the Grouch's timeless 'Knock Three Times' or the immortal Bert and 'My Favourite Number is Six'.
  • TT, yes, I know EXACTLY the bit!
    Nenastew, John Denver's 'I am the Eagle'
    My favourite part was, "Reach for the heavens and hope for the future - all that you can be and not what you ar-ar-are."

Muppets? Gotta be Kermit's 'Rainbow Connection' and Big Bird's 'Everyone makes Mistakes'.

The first record (single) that I was ever given, as opposed to one I dished out my hard earned cash for, was Freddy Fender's "Before the Next Teardrop Falls." I played it over and over and over until I never wanted to hear it again.
  • The Tornadoes.
  • Huh, IG!  It's all a bit strange when you are given records (hee hee, that very term!) as a kid.  My uncle gave me a "This is Reggae" album that contained, rather unfortunately, Max Romeo singing 'Wet Dream'.  I had no idea what he was referring to until much later in life!! 

I like to think my uncle had no idea - just thought he was buying me my beloved reggae, bless him.
  • Bachelor Boy by Cliff Richard
  • Now we're talking!
  • Rubber Bal, bobby Vee and can not get enough of lat 50's to mid 70's especially 60's
  • i have never bought a record record, but the first i ever bought on audio cassette was steps- last thing on my mind, and the first album i bought was the lord of the rings- fellowship of the ring soundtrack.
  • Nenastew, another John Denver fan here too! Play him on cassettes on the car radio - "Country Roads" etc. "You fill up my senses..." has to be one of the best love songs ever. Hold your head up high, Nenastew!
  • The albums I was brought up on were, funnily enough, all by the same fantastic band, who I still go nuts about now - the inimitable Steeleye Span.  'Commoners' Crown', 'Rocket Cottage', 'Sails of Silver' and 'Parcel of Rogues' might as well be the soundtrack to my childhood.  I was dead chuffed to be able to interview the wonderful, gorgeous Maddy Prior a few years ago.  They are the one band who have stayed with me constantly throughout my whole life.  I love them.
  • Single - White Lines by Grandmaster Flash.

Album - Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants.