Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Library talk tonight.

edited May 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Well, folks, all your kind advice as to the content of a library talk will be put to the test tonight when I give my first one. I was told yesterday thatit's sold out.  Well the library is very small.  Actually only seats 25.  So 25 brave souls have put their faith in me to provide them with some entertainment.  Mmm. Apparently the adjacent carpark is large so I'll have no problem parking my pantechnicon of books to be sold. 
  • Best of British to you for the big night, MW.
    I know you'll do really well. I only wish I could 'listen in'.  Cheers and good luck. :-D
  • Great, a chance to get some practice before you are booked for wider audiences.
  • Good luck, and sell a lot of books!.
  • Good luck, good sales and be yourself- the one we know and love here on Talkback.
  • Whoo,hoo!
  • Twenty-five is a great honour in my experience!  Have fun.  Can they accept Arthur-Rex for the evening?  (Some libraries are small enough that they are not worried about dogs but check, he could add to your pizzazz!)

When are you coming up to London?  I'd book you for Lewisham Library then!
  • Best of luck!
  • Let us know how you get on - relax and enjoy, then your audience will too.  Lights, camera ...
  • Can't keep my eyes open any longer as it's now just gone 1 in the am.  Again, best wishes for your talk tonight, MW. I know you'll go over as a great success. Wednesday was a very lovely day here and I'm sure your Wednesday in the UK will be prove just as promising. Night all.
  • It 'will be prove' that I REALLY need some sleep. Ye gads.
  • Ohhh, bless her.... nite nite, sleep tite (ok, delib. mis-spellings before anyone starts!) :O)
  • Come on, come on, I've been awake all day and bursting at the seams to find out how your night went, MW. It's nearly 8pm here! Are you having a sleep in or something?!

(Er, the bursting at the seams bit could have a teensy bit to do with all the chocolate I've been scoffing but we won't let anyone know that)
  • Oh, for goodness' sake, don't keep IG up again down under!  Er, what have I just said?  Anyway, how did it go?  Or are you still hiding under the duvet?  I bet they loved you.  Tell us all.
  • He's clearly inundated today...
  • Thanks for trying, TT. I'll have to turn in for the night, I'm afraid. All these late nights are playing havoc with my brain - I'm seeing stars. Whoops, it's after midnight again, I really AM seeing stars. I'll catch up with all tomoz.
  • Hi folks.  Thanks for your interest. The talk seemed to go OK.  The audience was very much the silver set.  No problen there as that's my target audience for the book. And they were receptive, laughing and uttering sympathetic noises in all the right places.  Didn't notice anyone dozing off though spotted one or two yawns. I've now to do a similar talk in Taunton Library in June.  This time it's going to be a mid morning session as part of a scheme for 'Active Living ' Groups.  Not sure if this means they'll be busing in people from retirement homes. Maybe I should have Arthur-Rex around. He can gently nip the ankles of anyone he sees nodding off.  Stop them going 'astray'.
  • Another personality change?
  • Let me know if you're coming to Weston library MW.
    It's a shame you can't get Weston Waterstones to take it. The demographic here is just right for you.
  • Oh I'm going to Taunton in July. I hear it is a beautiful place.
  • Forgot to ask, did you sell any books?
  • Ana - only sold three books.  It seems the good people of Nether Stowey really came along to be entertained. Apart from the Taunton talk, these events are a part of the Somerset library services linking in with the BBC's 'Breathing Spaces' campaign for this year involving the countryside and green issues.  I'm doing my bit through these talks and donating my fees to a a wildlife charity in Somerset. I'll see whether Weston library might be interested and let you know.
  • Jayster = MWelshman.  Sorry.  Have tried amending it.
  • Perhaps you need to be two parts entertaining author and four parts salesman, instead of the other way around, MW.  Hrmmmph - the tightwads!
  • I'd be delighted to sell 3 books. Aah.. only 480 to go. By the way, do you know the breakdown of your sales: bookshops, internet, sold by you?
  • Ana - Robert Hale only have figures for books sold by their wholesaler.  So there could be an unknown number lurking out there which may not get sold and hence get returned in a six to twelve month period  Though Hale has said if this were likely to happen then it should already have started.  And it hasn't.
  • MW, my copy arrived from Amazon yesterday. No probem with supply there.