Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sending to Coventry

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• As Josi wondered where the phrase Sending to Coventry came from, I checked my invaluable Cassell Dictionary of Word Histories.

Coventry n. used only in the phrase to send to Coventry, meaning to ostracize. WH 16C. Coventry, a city in Warwickshire (now a unitary authority)in central England. The phrase arose in the 18C, when Royalist prisoners captured in Birmingham in the English Civil War were sent to Coventry, a Parliamentary stronghold.

So now we know.
  • aha, so they were sent to Coventry prison! that makes more sense. I thought it would be something to do with Lady Godiva, lol.
  • Ah! It makes sense now.
  • Whilst we're on the subject of Coventry, one of the places that suffered so badly from bombing raids during WW2 ...

My diary has a quote for each week and I've just noticed the following which appeared on last week's page:

"You have to give this much to the Luftwaffe: when it knocked down our buildings, it didn't replace them with anything more offensive than rubble. We did that."

For "knocked down" read "dropped bombs on and killed people".

I expect you can guess who said it.
  • Would that be the Prince of Wales, or am I being cynical?

My dad was on the guns in Coventry during WWII, so experienced that first hand.
  • Absolutely right. Obviously takes after his father where opening mouth and inserting both feet is concerned.
  • Reply from Her Royal Highness. 'One's spouse and One's son both have this unfortunate habit of speaking before thinking'.
  • How nicely put, Stan!
  • Sorry to correct you Stan but the Queen is Her Majesty, not Her Royal Highness.
  • Ah yes Viv,

But you are assuming Stan's post refers to that particulay lady. Perhaps he has contact with another deity? Remember Maureen rides a throne (of sorts) and I have gathered, from various posts over time, that she is viewed as upon a pedestal.