Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to...

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all, I'm new. Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried Wannabe a Writer? by Jane Wenham-Jones. Been reading good things about it and wondered if it was worth buying. Thanks.
  • Welcome to the madhouse!  I don't buy how to books as a rule, so I can't help with this one.  Others on here do buy them, someone might have the answer for you.
  • Hi Willy - nice to meet you - welcome.  Sorry haven't read that one.
  • It's a new one on me.  But, as Jane works on WN/WM, then she's received space to comment on it.

Check out threads where we've all discussed books for writers.  I would say Stephen King's "On Writing" is a must.  We all have our favourites - they come in handy for different needs.
  • Hi Willy.

Never heard of it, but if I was going to recommend how to books they would be:

1. Stephen King, On Writing.
    2. 45 Master Characters (Victoria Lynn Scmidt)
    3. Building Believable Characters (Marc 
      McCutcheon)
    4. The Artists Way Julia Cameron
    5. The Writer's Guide to Character Traits
      (Linda N. Edelstein).
    6. Conflict, Action and Suspense (William Noble).
    7. Is There A Book In You? (Alison Baverstock).
    8. 20 Master Plots and How To Build Them (Ronald
      B Tobias).
    9. A Slip Of The Pen - just for a laugh (Peter
      Haining)

I think some of these books are available through Bookshelf if you are interested.  Are you writing a certain genre?.  We might be able to direct you towards something more specific.
  • I`ll second that TT, esp. when I decide I can`t write with my desk standing the way it is and I`ll just have to re-arrange the room bla bla bla, and then I think of him writing "Carrie" on a typewriter on his lap in a caravan, and I feel a fraud....Me, a writer? Pah!
  • Let us know what you're trying to write and we may be able to suggest other books. Welcome by the way.
  • Hi Willy, welome to TalkBack!
  • Thanks for the welcome. I'm not seeing my own posts, is that usual?
  • Ah... sorry, that seemed okay...
  • I'm not poo-poo-ing 'how to' books here, as I have a collection of them looking at me right now (...and I am in the middle of drafting my own 'How to' column at the moment LOL:D)

I could give you just a long a list, but I would suggest that the best way to get better is to go to classes, join a writing group, get advice from your peers, and critique (review) other people work as much as possible and its a lot cheaper (can you tell its those last few days before payday and I'm skint...all my comments have to do with money!).