Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Stereotypes

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Trying to walk away from the previous novel, I'm trying to get on with thinking about novel number two.

My problem is that I am going from writing crime fiction in which I deliberately wanted to play against people's preconceptions of gender roles (change the kidnapped damsel in distress to a male character).  Which I quite enjoyed.  This book is about forbidden love, so it's romance fiction, and I can't get away from plot sterotypes.  My characters are fine, I think I've managed to do a gender reversal, but I need to get away from the 'formula' of romantic fiction.

Also, could anyone recommend any good romance fiction I can learn from without making me feel very sick?.
  • How about The Time Traveller's Wife?
  • What type of forbidden love? A basic few words might help get you the right suggestions.
    I would suggest you read MM Kaye's The Far Pavillion, the romance there is very much about forbidden love initially but part of a bigger story.
    Also her story centered around the Indian Mutiny where the hero Alex has to resist his desire for Winter, because she marries his boss. When the Mutiny occurs everything changes but there is still his own conviction that he has to leave her alone because of their precarious circumstances.I'll dig out the title and let you know.
  • The one I couldn't remember the title of was Shadow of the Moon- not the one recently released with that title-or something similar.
    They are both very thick books.
  • "How about The Time Traveller's Wife?"

Wow I bought that today, are you psychic? The reason I did buy it though is because I am writing a time shift novel that has a romance element, not the core but important. So on those lines "Somewhere in Time" by Richard Matheson, a truly beautiful love story across time. A best seller, still in print and a great movie. That I think is how you should approach romance.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them all (it will probably be a few months before I actually start writing).

I bought The Time Travelers Wife when it was featured on Richard and Judy, I will try and dig it out.

The story is more about social taboos, but any help is gratefully appreciated.  The story starts with a horrific car crash, Kyle (my protaganist, I don't like saying hero) survives with minor injuries, but his wife is left with severe brain damage and in a vegative state.  The story then moves on four years, when he meets another woman, who he falls deeply in love with.  He then finds himself torn between the two women when she falls pregnant. 

The story is loosely based on the Terri Schiavo case in America.  I want it to be sympathetic towards a partner in that situation.  A lot of people thought the husband stopped medical assistance just to marry his new fiance.  I want to put the opposite view across, despite it being socially forbidden.
  • This may not help, but the Blake Morrison novel,which has been on Book at Bedtime this week- the character who's viewpoint it comes from is married with two kids, his wife has a severe stroke and he begins an affair with one of his creative writing students. You get his reactions and justifications to that relationship.
  • Carol The book Far Pavilion was a great read. The TV adaptation didnt do it justice. The actress who played the lead looked as if she had been stained by tea to look Indian, woeful.
  • I agree MrD, the tv adaption did not do the book justice. I couldn't see either of the two lead players as those characters. The rest, setting and such was wonderful.
    I'd hoped they would have done Shadow of the Moon as well, but I suspect it would have cost too much. I think it was better than Far Pavillions.
  • The Caravan scenes in the Far Pavilions were great. Panoramic stuff. do you imagine the lead characters as well . My sister and I used to discuss books and their characters at length. Which actors would suit which Roles, Years ago we both read and enjoyed a book called "First Blood" by David Morrell. The film was crap it was called Rambo what a load of rubbish, bad acting , rubbish lines, a real travesty.
  • The panoramic stuff was great. As the story starts in his childhood the reader does imagine the grown up Ash/Ashok, and it was the choice of actor that didn't fit my image, but that's casting.
  • How about 'The Wind Cannot Read'? A bit like 'Love Story' only better written.
  • Morning Stirling,

They have been knocked since time immemorial but Mills and Boon produce very good examples of well written romance, including stories with a twist or role reversals.

Try their website to gain an insight.
  • Good suggestion Jan, they have a section for online reads- so you don't need to buy any books.
  • Thanks gain Carol as a result of your postings I have gone into Green Metropolis and ordered several books I really enjoyed years ago. it will be interesting to see if the perception of a good read has differed or even matured.
  • Blake Morrison's son used to play with my daughter when they were very young.  That man holds something back when he writes.  But, b***er, he writes well!
  • Hope you still enjoy them MrD.
    My copy of the Far Pavillions is on the top shelf of one of the Billy bookcases, about three feet away from my desk - along with a few of her 'Death in...' books.
    I really must find where I put Shadow of the Moon- a definite favourite.
  • Making a note of all these titles.

I will over look my prejudices and will have a look at Mills and Boon.  I'll look at the website, and my library has quite a good selection.

I looked at a copy of Cecila Ahern's PS I Love You, but it didn't have the depth that I was looking for.  I like being in my characters head.  I don't just want to know they are in love, I want to know what they feel, their hopes and dreams.  But chick-lit doesn't seem to deal with that kind of depth.
  • I'm getting suspicious now.

Just been on Mills and Boon's website and they are showing the results of a short story competition and one of those is a S Hutchinson.

That's my sister's married name!.

Although, I think I might subscribe long enough to get the free books.
  • Maybe it's a sign.
  • Stirling did you look at the winners photo? Is it your sister?
  • It was a runner-up, so I don't think there is a photo.

I'm going to print a copy and take it around to her house, so it should get a good laugh either way.

I wonder if this is a secret career?.