Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Lady doom and gloom

salsal
edited May 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Has anyone read The article on writing in The Lady, May 1-7.  Kate Kellaway writes: 'It has never been a tougher time to be a debut novelist.' Although, the article does emphasise the chance of earning six figure sums and that people like Jordan has the best chance of being published. 
      Surely, there are hundreds of novelists who earn a decent living so someone must be publishing the books. Do you think the writer of this article is right?
  • no, I don't. A lot of first novels are getting out in the world, the biography competition shows that unpublished writers can still get a chance. 
  • According to the guides I have read there are vastly more mss looking for publishers than publishers looking for mss. I won't quote the number of mss written to those pulished as this is depressing. The advent of readily available technology has made producing your mss very much easier so there are many more authors having a go. Don't be discouraged, the odds are better than winning the lottery This site is a goldmine of helpful tips and the people are friendly. Remember that there are many people writing novels who are in a position where they are not interested in making money from it. Finally, hopefully Dorothy will read this, she is the real expert, watch for her input 
  • It's definitely true that it's harder than ever before for a first-time novelist to get published.  The Publishing Houses are ever cost conscious and looking for the guaranteed returns that the celebrity ticket might provide (despite often appalling writing) and not so willing to take risks with unknown, untested writers.  The smaller publishers are disappearing.Though interestingly enough the self-publishing market is expanding and these small print companies can be a way of getting your work out into the public domain.There are more would-be-writers having a go. The mainstream publishers have been so inundated with scripts over the past few years that nearly all of them are now only considering work submitted through an agent so as to reduce the slush pile.  So I'm afraid it is a tough old world and ferociously competitive. That saying, by studying the market and doing your homework on how to get published you can increase your chances of getting that all important first acceptance. Good luck.
  • I think the problem is that the authors who are making a decent living from writing have been in the industry for twenty years (might be a depressing lesson there) and broke in when the industry was very different to how it is now.

I do believe however that the majority of books landing on a publishers desk just aren't publishable.  I hold my hands up and admit that when I was approach agents in 2002/3 it wasn't of a standard to get published.  Taking a look at the bookstores of the likes of Trafford and Authorhouse just prove this.  I really do believe that if you are good enough, you will make it. 

Go on Crazy Horse, I want to know the number.  I like to know what I'm competing against!.
  • Being told how hard the industry is when you are starting out is such a cop out even if true. I think part of what makes a writer is to write no matter what. There are debut novelists out there making a living and people are getting published. It's just easier to tell people its tough. Like anything thats worth doing of course it hard but determined writers do get through.
  • CH, mine was the first reply!!!!  At least, all I can contribute right now!
  • Debut novelists are earning the money true, but are they like Diane Setterfield (Thirteenth Tale)?.  I think she was paid an £800,000 advance, but only managed 13,000 sales.  A well written novel and a talent writer, but I doubt there will be a second novel (by that publisher at least).

Saying how hard the industry is, isn't a scare tactic.  It is incredibly hard, a lot of established writers are now turning to self-publishing.  Getting signed for your first novel is hard enough, there is no guarantee you will make book number two, now there is no mid-list.  Even Ian Rankin was almost dropped when he only managed 10,000 copies per book.

It is a part of the mythology that it is very tough in the writing game, but that is because it is so competitive.  Go in to your local bookshop, hundreds upon hundreds books competing against each other, against DVD's, CD's or a meal out.
  • Yes even established authors get dropped, it's a lesson to everyone.
    John Harvey had the same problem after many years.
    It seems that every writer is judged on earning potential first, rather than long term potential.
  • Thre is a book called "Writing a novel and getting published for dummies" The authors state on page 13 your novel will be in competition wth 40,000 others for a publishing contract. Like I say sterling,. daunting in't it.
  • I went to a freelance writers' conference last week and one speaker said she nearly didn't come as she didn't want to be inundated with emails afterwards. She had been an inspiration to me years ago when I started out and I was disappointed to realise that as an editor she no longer had time to foster new talent. However, one of the young freelancers who has only been writing for a year gave an incredible talk and it was worth the entry fee just for her session!
  • (Island Girl stands on platform with brightly coloured sparkly plastic hat and voices her opinion over the loud-speaker...)

It may certainly be difficult these days to have something published but it's only going to get harder. Consider how much easier it might have been a hundred years ago and how fewer authors there would have been back then.

In another twenty, you'll be wishing you'd started now. I say, jump in boots and all while you have the means and the inclination. What do you have to lose by taking a chance? Who cares HOW many people you're up against? Olympic athletes don't give up because they're pitted against 15 competitors instead of 6. No, they get out there and do the best they can.

(Did I rev you up? Hehehe, that sounded rather good, I thought. I might become an inspirational speaker. What do you reckon?)
  • That's the spirit IG. Go for it.  Just because my comments above were full of doom and gloom - I'm a realist (wife says pessimist)- it doesn't mean you shouldn't be writing.  We're not doing this specifically to get published but because we have that burning desire to get those words out of our imaginations and on to paper to be read. Great if a publisher picks up our work. But it's that inner drive which keeps us tied to the wheel. It's a long road, often bumpy. But it's not a turn-off. Just keep motoring on folks.  And enjoy the journey. Gosh. I'm inspiring myself here. I've a poor track record for writing recently so I'd better hit the road as well.
  • Don't worry about me, MW. My husband says I have Pollyanna syndrome.
  • Crazy Horse.  I like those odds!.
  • I think the gist of what they were saying was that you have to make a real effort rather than assume the publishing world is wating for your effort with baited breath