Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help me please

ZoeZoe
edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I  feel like I am drifting through life at the minute especially on the writing front.
    I have ideas and I make plans but nothing comes of it. I haven't had anything accepted in about three months and have started to wonder what it's all about.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to go through this inertia and would appreciate any advice on snapping out of it.
  • Don't be so hard on yourself - like Claudia says, give yourself a bit of space and you'll soon be back on writing form.  Best of luck.
  • Thanks ladies, I think I'll have the afternoon off rather than try and come up with something creative. I'm thinking of setting up a website  so maybe I'll think about that. Or alternatively I might just read a book. I've got a big week next week with the day job so I maybe need to make sure the batteries are fully charged.
  • We all hit that point, Zoe, unfortunately.  It means your creative batteries are low and you need to recharge.  I do this by switching projects but taking a break and working on something else, like the website, will be good for you, keep the creative bit going but without the writing pressures. It'll come back.
  • Have to agree with all that's been said. Don't despair it will all return when you get recharged.
  • BUT you do need to keep on writing however little on a daily basis.  Just so that your brain stays in gear.  The more you chip away the easier it gets.  HONEST.  I find that if I digress to other things I then keep putting off the moment of getting back to doing some writing. Just jotting a few lines on this message board is being creative.  Ah. Done my bit for the day.  Won't feel guilty if I now slope off and do some gardening.
  • Three months doesn't sound that long. Take a break, as the others have suggested. Or try a different genre/subject.
  • it's ok to feel like that sometimes. i've just started a 2nd job, so now i'm working about 70 hours a week in 2 jobs. i haven't got the time or the energy to write at the moment (i was writing in my day job between calls, but now i'm too tired to do anything). i've decided to have a little brain break just while i adjust to my new work schedule. once i get used to the extra work, i'm sure i'll be back in the saddle.
    sometimes a little rest is just what you need to refresh your creative drive.