Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A publisher who doesn't pay

edited April 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm writing on behalf of a friend of mine. He has found a publisher that is keen to publish his book and has signed a contract with them. I helped him with the editing of the manuscript. However, the publisher was in breach of the contract for SIX WEEKS as they didn't pay my friend in due time the money that was agreed upon. He had to wait three weeks for £1000 and then another three weeks for the next £500. When the managing director came to him with £1k cash saying that, because my friend had plans for us in the weekend, he didn't want to DISAPPOINT him. That was the wrong reason for giving him that money - he should've done that because the contract said that the writer will be paid £1500 "upon delivery of complete manuscript and completion of author's questionnaire," both of which my friend had complied with. Then we didn't hear anything from the managing director for almost three weeks, as if he gave him the money to shut him up for a while. The MD has also been generous with lies. He said he's going to call. Lie! He said he's going to pay my friend by this and that Monday or Wednesday or Friday. Lie! He finally did though, but my friend had to beg for the money and start threatening them with finding a new publisher. Now that he's been paid, he's not happy and neither am I because the author-publisher relationship we had hoped for has been flushed down the toilet. We don't trust him anymore. AND tt wa amazing how all the "problems" occurred during those six weeks of waiting. The MD's wife suddently needed a cancer operation, the man who was going to write out the check lost a family member and was off work and or on holiday, and then all of a sudden the bank manager had "family problems". Yeah, dead on! AS IF!!! I'm just boiling with rage at the thought of these things.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and advice?
  • I agree he/she should get the contract looked at, and by someone who knows about book contracts.
    Your friend could join the Society of Authors and get it checked, as he would now qualify to join.
  • It's a book publisher. We'll talk to my pal and check out the Soc for authors. Thanks, folks.
  • Is your friend a member of the Writers Guild or NUJ ? They will offer free legal advice.
  • No, he isn't. Does it cost anything to join?
  • Can you name the publisher please?
  • Yes, it would be useful to know the name so we can avoid them too.
  • This has been the only thread NoWay has contributed to, so it might take an e-mail via Webbo's contact system to find out.
  • Sorry NoWay for my slow reply (working).

Membership of the Writers Guild does cost.Full Membership is  £150  plus 1% of earnings from writing over £15,000 up to a maximum fee of £1,500. They are affiliated to the TUC.

Membership of the NUJ is available to those working on a regular basis for actual and regular publications and other areas of the media. They will always help advise if you are eligible for membership.The cost of membership depends on the area of the media you work in and the last I recall ranged from about £120 to £225.
    Please take this fee as a guide only as it is from memory.Matters like liable insurance etc are really well worth joining if you are eleigible to do so.

Stirling
    You will probably already know this but student membership of the NUJ is available for a tenner.