Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just in case you ever become a famous novelist

edited May 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• The book section in the online Times has an item about first drafts, in this computer age they apparently don't survive- not too sure about that.
    So just in case you become world famous for your books...
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1746989.ece
  • I don't know, maybe you could switch the Word reviewing option on and print out a copy with all your corrections highlighted.
  • My first draft has stayed as a first because I save the second draft edit and amendments/additions as Draft 2 which not only gives it another title so I can pick it out but keeps the first one intact.  Am I pedantic, or what?!
  • No I don't think you are TT.
    After all there could be a great idea in that first draft -which you could use later in another story, but don't use in the second draft- delete it and the idea could be gone forever.
  • I have saved my first draft of Pets in Prospects as it had some chapters about animal incidents that I felt could be taken out without jeopardising the script; and it still left me with 85.000 words or so. This means I have some story lines for the sequel to fall back on.
  • A lesson to us all then to save our first draft.
  • I must admit I have more than one draft, several in fact. Having lost it all once I am almost paranoid about doing so again.

I also have an odds and ends file which contains paragraphs I have taken out of my novel, (to reduce the word count!) but don't want to delete in case I can use them another time. It also saves me searching through an old version of the entire novel.
  • My first draft of 'bound', then called 'Double Platinum' was so bad I burned it.  Enough to ruin a reputaion I think.
  • "My first draft of 'bound', then called 'Double Platinum' was so bad I burned it."

That is brilliant. There is probably a story in that incident alone. I hope it warmed your hands if it never burnt you with passion.
  • LOL ST.

Oh I was passionate about it, I just couldn't write.  God only knows why I sent it to agents.  It was so badly written, the only thing it retains now six years later is the characters.

Badly written and badly plotted.  I hadn't developed the writing skills I needed to make it work.
  • Thanks, Carol. (They've published my comment online.)
  • Yes I saw it, and one from Rose in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. (Was that you Dorothy, or someone else?)