Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

He's Here

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Hi All
    Couldn't stay away from such a nice but nutty  bunch for too long. Have taken the much needed step to getting my spare time organized. I have even purchased 'NewNovelist2' to help and so far 30 quid'ish well spent. Wish I'd had known about it when it first came out. Anybody else use it?

Couple of Questions that may seem silly to some.

Question 1
    But first of all explanation; I am a dog lover but have no dog, where I live it wouldn't be fair on the dog -cooped up most of the day while at work etc, and can not find the answer to my query anywhere. Did try a vet once but they wanted to charge me for a full check as if I had a dog, sounds bazaar I know, any way I digress the question.

I know the animals have a pulse but where will I find it?
    Honestly it is a genuine reason as it will form part of my main characters psychological fears

Question 2
    Apart from an explanation how can you make the reader feel that a person is being choked? ie; my main characters helper having one hand at the throat of one of the suspects.
    What I am looking for is how can I make the words 'Your choking me' sound as if they are coming from someone in that position

Hope these made sense, feel a bit daft asking really but I have been trying for what seems an age now and just can not get it to sound right

What I am looking for will be put in my notes for use when I need them.

Island Girl, if I thought my better halfs handmade Belgian Chocolates with those utterly goergous flavours of Coffee, Strawberry, Vanilla, Praline, Peppermint, the list goes on and on and on, would get to you in one piece I would ask her to make some, but Australia is such a big Island, sorry. not mad at me are you :-))))))))))
  • I know.  You try to stay away, but you can't. 

The Vet question I think will be one for Welshman.

Now, the 'choking' question I think I can help you with.  In my novel someone is murdered by hanging (I know it is rare) and what I did was talk about the constriction of the throat (closing up), loss of consciousness (zooming in and out), and migraine.  That kind of thing.

I could upload an example here, but I'm worried about security, so you would have to promise not to rip me off.  Otherwise would you like to email me (if yes I will post my business email).
  • Not really, IT. Just truly happy to see you back again! Yipeeeeeeeee
  • Hi
    Stirling e-mail on it's way and thanks, hope the Welshman reads this

Thanks IG glad to be back
  • Welcome back, please add your quiet sanity to the madhouse that this forum seems to become from time to time.
  • Taking the pulse of a dog or cat.

Run your fingers up the inside of the back leg towards the hip joint and you'll pick up the pulse. Count the beats in twenty seconds and multiply by three.

That will be £15.00 for the consultation plus VAT. <g>
  • I looked at that New Novelist but was unsure how it could help. Any chance you can outline why it has helped you and in what ways.
  • Hi IT, good to see you.
  • Welcome back IT.
  • Good that you have came back, your posts were interesting.
  • Welcome back.
  • Thanks Welshman, very much appreciated I have put it in my notes section for when I'm ready to use it. Can I pay you when I sell my first book.

Silent Tony; It has helped me excellent so far and I know will continue to do so.
    if like me you can not keep everything in one place or are to bone-idle to create files and folders, then have to search for them when needed. Well this cuts all that out

When opened and selected New
    First Part it requires you to put a title of your novel in - will not let you proceed untill you do.
    Second Part it requires you to put a one line description in - Will not let you proceed until you do
    These can always be changed later if needed

It then takes you to the main working area where you can create all that is required.
    For example a character. As we all know to make a character beleivable you need to know them as good as yourself; true?

Selecting new you have to put a name in, will not let you proceed until you do, the rest is optional but very advisable to complete as much as possible at this stage.

Next is Places, exactly the same

Next is objects, (such as ring, ship, car etc thats using their examples) again the same start as characters and places

Next is Reasearch and ideas. Here is where you store all your info, like the info Welshman has sent me re the pulse of a dog for later use which I required.

The beauty of NewNovelist is that everything is there in front of you at the click of your mouse.
    Before I forget it also helps organize your chapters, again you can add, delete, edit etc

Yes I know you can do all this in windows, excell, and access but that takes time and to me a nuisance I can do without. I'm such a lazy trout at times :-). But I like everything that is easy to access with computers
    I have also tried the writers home study course,
    Done a proof reading course. Both helped in thire own way, but it was the organization part that was also a bind for me

Now all I need is the fact of building that little gap from mind to end of pencil where everything seem to fall off, and as soon as I put my pencil down it comes back to, such a pain LOL

And furthermore there is the printing of it all, even helps you with that.

Now having said all that I hope Webbo and the producers of NeNovelist2 are reading this as I think a little commission is warranted here for sales don't you agree everyone

Thanks for the welcome back messages everyone
  • I promise you I'm Trying that I will email you today.

I've had a bit of a traumatic morning at my neighbour's funeral (she was actually more of a granny to me than a neighbour), and I sobbed all the way through.  Still finding it difficult to do 'normal' things right now.  It just doesn't seem right, maybe it will be good to get away by moving to Stirling.
  • What a time you're going through, S.  Sending love, TT x
  • I know.  It was just a bit of a shock.  I knew she had a stroke but I thought she would pull through.

She was just always there in her garden, and I would go over and talk to her.  She's always been there since I was a young child (we moved here when I was three).  I just can't believe that she isn't there, that she has gone.
  • Stirling, she hasn't gone, she's just in another dimension, still watching you and still caring.
  • Stirling; When I lost my mum and my wife lost her mum, this is what we were told 'Don't think of them as dying, think of them as going home' and that they will always be with you
    Helped superbly, and I know of others it has helped
  • Thanks for that.  Death doesn't scare me, I know it's just the start.  I know what you mean Dorothy, it really feels like she is still here, she probably is.  Crying feels so selfish, it is about me, not her.  That I will miss her, not that her pain is at an end.  She was completely paralysed in the end, so she was ready to pass over.

Anyway, I've tried to send the email, no at all confident it will work.  If it doesn't, tell me and I will try again.
  • Thanks Stirling. As the saying goes 'keep ya chin up'
    Will let you know when I get it.
    Will let you Tuesday if not recieved it. At a Craft Fair all this weekend so will be busy
  • There isn't much more I can add to what's already been said Stirling. I'm sending you a big hug and warm thoughts to comfort you.
  • Stirling

If only more people would be like you and give some time to their elderly neighbours, what a differance that would make.
    You will have enhanced the ladies life probably without even realising it.
    You will likely know my personal beliefs from other threads and I do also feel the right words are that she has gone home now.

Take care.