Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

About writing novels

edited April 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Go to the BBC website, the News, then click on UK, then scroll down to Magazine and on to "Your name here?". There are some interesting comments about writing a novel and getting it published.
  • Thanks Jany, I'll have a look. It is one of my normal stopping points in the morning.
  • Hi

Read this yesterday. Quite interesting, though I found the tone a bit pessimistic. May as well all give up now then!

Of course, that's not quite how it goes.....once bitten by the bug and all that.....

Rich
  • So true, so true...
  • There was an interesting comment after the article, that stated that it's usual for 'work experience' people to have first look at new manuscripts that arrive at a Publisher. Is this normal practise, and has it always been the case?

Rich
  • That`s what caught my eye this morning too, RichardS. I hope it`s not true, but I wouldn`t be surprised...
    Maybe we ought to re-draft the first 3 pages to suit them.
  • It depends on who we're assuming 'work-experience' people to be?  Do you think they are all 15/16 yr olds?  I beg to differ.  I know someone who is in their late forties undertaking work-experience during a spell of unemployment.  And undertaking it within their chosen career.  The rules have changed now.  Work-experience is, apparently, not as rigidly teenager-led as before.
  • Glad to hear it, TT!
  • I'm hoping to get work experience next summer while on holiday from University (I have just recently learned I have a cousin who works for a London publisher).

Frankly, I would run around getting their coffee.  If they let me vet incoming manuscripts I would be in heaven . . .