Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dawn French

edited April 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Apparently she's going to get £2 million for her memoirs. Sounds like an awful lot of money!
    (Ref. Books section, Saturday's Times)
  • Hmm.  It's ridiculous money but I reckon it might be one celeb book that's actually worth reading.
  • Why the £2m or why will it be worth reading?  If the latter, simply because she's brilliant, one of the few celebrities who might actually have something worthwhile to say. 
  • Cos I reckon she's an interesting person and if she's written it herself it should be amusing.
  • Might be true that's it will be interesting, but I still don't think it's worth 2 million.
  • I'm reading a book at the moment I found this quote:

"The cost of the advance is the cost of having that author's book . . . what matters is in the end is that it yields sufficient profit . . . a publisher can still make profit if the advance doesn't earn out".

Suddenly I understand publishing so much more this morning.  Celebrity memoirs are more about the 'prestige' of having published a certain person's book, more than profit.
  • Loss leader?
  • certainly looks that way, doesn't it?
  • I read yesterday that Rachel Hunter is also writing her life story but has promised to say very little about her marriage to Rod Stewart. Excuse me, but without that she was a nobody anyway - who wants to read about her life unless it  has some juicy Rod gossip in it?
  • £2 million is a huge amount of money, but at least Dawn French is a person with genuine talent unlike some of the other celeb memoirs. And unlike many, it'd seem likely she'd write it herself too. We went to see the play 'Smaller' that she wrote and starred in (with Alison Moyet) last year and it was very good. My daughter wanted both of them to sign her show programme, so we waited at the stage door afterwards - Dawn is tiny, maybe 5 foot tall at the most!
  • £2M - when money like that is bandied about to celebs footballers anyone, when it's an over the top amount, I always say 'tell that to the starving in Africa' - how does half the world live with itself?
  • Couldn't agree more Betsie. As for Dawn French - Talented? Yes. Funny? Yes. But two million? get real people. None of our dear celebs worth anything like that. As Betsie says: ask the world's starving.
    Incidentally (taps side of nose), I heard a few years ago, from within the business, that hugly, bubbly Dawn was not at all best pleased when she heard that her sidekick, the verger in Dibley, had become the reason that more and more viewers were tuning in!! I just forget the girl's name, but she is of course an infinitely more talented actor than DF. 
  • The one who plays Alice is just brill - no one else could put the joke part over like she can
  • That's Emma Chambers - and I used to think how generous Dawn French was to let Alice steal the show!
  • Maybe she could give the two million advance to Comic Relief?.
  • Stirling - Dare you to write to her and suggest it!
  • How do we know she isn't going to anyway?