Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Padding it for the agent?

edited April 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Help! I've just had an email from an agent who says:
    "we enjoyed reading your sample chapters, though we thought 30,000 a little short for a teen novel. Perhaps you would like to look at the teen book shelves in the book shops and decide whether you’d like to bring yours up to a more regular word-count to make it fit the market better.

Let me know whether you’d be happy to do this.

Would you then please post the complete manuscript to the address below."

I know that the story is a tad short, but I don't think padding would improve the flow or content. On the other hand I really really want an agent to take it on. What do I do?
  • Hi- This is really great news! You sound worried, i'd be getting the drinks in!
    Ofcourse you say you will be more than happy to do it.There's always room for expansion in a novel- might be good to ask them where they think the storyline could be improved/expanded. Do it quickly and get the manuscript in! well done, wish u luck!
  • How short do you think it is from their desired length?
    Padding shows up, you need to expand on what is already there, or something you didn't expand on.
    It might be worth doing as Vijay says, a polite thank you, and yes you would be happy to do this, and was there any particular area that they felt would most benefit.
    If you get a response then do what is suggested and resubmit.
    Good luck.
  • Excuse me but did you not just get a response, positive critique and possible deal. Get to it girl.(been dying to say that for years) Padding maybe not, but I bet you have a lot of strong ideas to flesh out the story. Well done.
  • well done you!  Grab the chance with both hands and get rewriting immediately!  There are bound to be new bits you could insert, rather than pad what is there!
  • So what is the regular word count they want you to achieve?
  • Hey, this is good news.  Bring in a few more characters, rather than pad it out.
  • It might be difficult for you to get enough distance from the MS to see where to expand it. Have you got someone whose judgment you trust to read it for you? It could be worth investing in professional advice. Cornerstones are good.
  • Thanks, everyone. This is actually the third agency who have requested the whole manuscript; the first two sent it back with fairly positive rejections and very helpful feedback which I took on board - I cut ca 5,000 words after the first one...

"So what is the regular word count they want you to achieve?" - They didn't say but suggested checking out teenage novels to find out what is regular. Trip to the library coming on! Any comments from you welcome.

Ana, you are very right about the lack of distance. Fortunately I have found myself a personal editor - a very helpful American whom I met on an artists' forum. She used to do critiques for writers on a semi-professional basis, but now only does a select few for the pleasure of it. I'll run any changes past her before submitting.
  • I had the same situation, a 30K novel with the agent telling me it wasn't enough. My agent suggested a minimum of 60K, but 75K would be better and 100K would be fantastic.
    My first thought was that changing the length, by "padding", would really be a disservice to the readers. But after feedback from friends I realised that the were certain points in the story they really wanted to know about. One of the biggest ones was regarding the protagonist. After I'd written a little more of his history and why he was as he was I found myself with only a 5K word shortfall to reach 60K.
    In essence there was a hell of a lot in the back story the reader wanted to know. Other comments I received where about the lack of detail about other characters. I added that in. I'm almost at 60K, I sent the MS off to other friends and still found they were after more back story!
    Because I was so focused on the plot, initially, I'd ignored a lot of scene setting and character construction. These types of things only take up a few sentences but when added in the right places in the story it does end up being quite a lot of extra words which really aren't padding, though sometimes it feels like it is to me, but I know it's not because the readers appreciate it.
    Anyway this is my experience and from this I can say it is possible to find so much more to write about given good feedback from friends.
    One point about friends, make sure they know they're not commenting to please you but just giving their honest thoughts. It really helps create that story which is that much stronger.
    all the best
    Richie
  • Anyanka, unless your library is very up to date with the latest books, then you would be better to go to a book shop selling the most up to date titles. They will also have books that came out in the previous few years which are still selling.
    There is a formula for working out the total wordage, x number of words to a line, and lines  to a page, and the number of pages.
    If it's quiet the bookseller may be knowledgable enough to know the length.
  • Great news Anyanka. I cannot believe I have only just read this, I would have replied much sooner.
    Try not to see padding as that , but more of an opportunity to develop your work. Could you introduce a new sub plot ? Are they looking for 50-55,000 words or less?

All the very best to you.
    Aegean
    ------
  • Well done Anyanka and all the best with finishing the novel and getting it pubished.
  • Congratulations! If the agent wants to see the finished MS, you're VERY close to getting representation, and my advice is to do whatever the agent asks.
    Don't forget, the agency only stays in business if it can sell the books its writers produce, which means the agent must have a very clear idea of what publishers are looking for.
    You shouldn't have to pad it, though. As another respondent suggested, introduce a new character, or a sub-plot or a twist. Padding always shows.
    Finally, 30,000 is short - very short. I'm working on a full synopsis for a new book at the moment, and I'm at about 39,000 words already!
    Before you write anything, you should look at the market and find out what sort of length other books in that genre are running to, and aim for something similar. Don't forget, the reason every professional writer submits work double-spaced, left-justified, standard font, etc, etc, is because that's what the agent or publisher will be expecting. You have to give them what they expect in terms of presentation - including length - so that all they have to do is concentrate on the story you're telling.
    Hope this helps
    James
  • Again, thank you everyone. You are all of course right; I need to look at it not as padding but as expansion.  My natural inclination is to be short and to the point...

In the last couple of days, I've realised that I can bring back the back-story which I cut out in the last revision, but rather than have the first-person narrator telling the back-story to the reader directly, it'll come out in dialogue over a chapter, woven into some action (which I've yet to come up with).

The reason that I'm not jumping up and down with joy is that I've had a similar experience before - a publisher liked a children's story, but asked me to change the ending. Once I'd done exactly as they suggested, they no longer liked the story...
  • Keep a copy of both then you have nothing to lose.
    Look on this positively, the agent would not have asked you to expand it unless he thought he might consider you.
    Forget the past, concentrate on this here and now.
  • Anyanka.. I appreciate your caution due to the previous events where you had to change the ending of your book. From past experience I would be quietly confident in this instance though. An expansion re-write is a different ball game.Go for it, the readers at the agency must like what they have already seen. If you can give them more of the same, keeping your consistency, without compromising your original, then you must have a very high chance of being in. Will you keep us up to date please?
    Wishing you all the best.

Aegean
    ----