Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cheap flyers - help!

edited April 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I need to get just 100 double-sided A5 glossy colour flyers done.

Normally I get 1,000 done for about £70. Never looked up the prices for a mere 100 before, and to my dismay every online printer charges over £50 for 100 - 50p each!

I don't want to make my own on this occasion as I want them to look really professional.

I'd be grateful for a lead!
  • Check out local printers, and print shops. They should be able to give you a quote to your rquirements.
    Unfortunately small quantities can cost more.
  • I misread this as cheap fivers!
  • Jay - Me too. When it's underlined in the list of threads you can't see the bottom of the 'y' very easily. I thought someone had landed Helena with a heap of counterfeit notes!
  • you mean it isn't cheap fivers! *grumble* *sulk*
  • Hi

As you will know unfortunatly much of the cost in printing is eaten up in design ,typesetting and platemaking if required. You will probably find the differance in cost of a small to medium run very little.

The only place I can recall seeing very good prices for short colour runs was in Exchange and Mart. I had a look at my local newsagent for a copy to find some phone numbers for you, but she has no copies left.May be worth having a look though.

Aegean
    -------
  • How about doing it yoursef and using photo paper?  Or, use ordinary paper and invest in a laminator.
  • How about doing it yoursef and using photo paper?  Or, use ordinary paper and invest in a laminator.
  • Anna - For one daft second I thought you were encouraging Helena to print money!
  • Yes, it does look like fivers unless you read it slowly and carefully,
  • I'll buy two of your printed fivers for eleven quid.
  • There's an internet-based printing company called Vista Print who are always sending me e-mails about discount products like business cards etc. Don't know if they'd be worth a look for a quote?
  • Staples
  • Thanks for the replies.

Misread my message as FIVERS? What are you lot like? Some people on here evidently need spectacles tee hee.

Lamination pouches or glossy photo paper + paper + ink = more than the cost of getting flyers printed.

Have tried all local shops and searched net. In the end, I am making my own, on A4 white paper, folded to make a booklet, with a colour picure of my book jacket on the front and an order form on the reverse.

This is a special job: I am speaking at a university conference with only 100 delegates, and I want to do the hard-sell on each and every one of them, as the conference is specific to the book's subject. Opportunities like this don't come along that often!
  • Best of luck. Of course, handing out fivers would probably help, too!
  • Hope all goes well at the conference, Helena.
  • Cheers Jen

I sort of am giving away fivers cos anyone who gets a flyer gets a whopping £10 off the price of the book - TWO fivers!
  • A kind soul on Talkback has emailed me details of where I can get 100 giant postcards printed for just £20. So that is great news!
  • Sounds like a bargain!
  • Wow, that is great! Please share the info, cos I’m thinking of doing something like that myself. Is it artwork or text only? I’ve found places online (can’t remember the sites now) that will print stuff, but you have to do the design yourself and send them a pdf, then they just print it exactly as you’ve given. It’s a POD then, in that you’re paying x pence per item printed no matter how small the print run. Can’t remember the exact cost, but it works out as quite cheap for small print runs, but expensive for the bigger ones where you would be better going to the bulk printers.
  • It's vistaprint and yes, you have to do all the layout and design yourself and convert it to PDF (allowing for bleed). Helena
  • vista print are great. my mum makes hand made greetings cards and goes onto a site called 'do-crafts'. someone mentioned about vista on a forum, and she went on there, filled in a questionnare and got 250 lovely, professional business cards sent out for free. shes just filled in something else on the site and is getting another 500 free business cards sent out. not a bad deal for 5 minutes of your time.
  • I'll tell you how great Vista Print are: on their website yesterday there was a special offer on postcard printing. I phoned to check all the details, very nice lady told me almost everything (see below). I told her I'd go and design my card and upload it the next day.

Next day, spent 4 hours designing the card. Went onto Vista to upload it, the charges had more than doubled. Phone to ask them why: the offer ended yesterday! Why didn't she tell me on the phone yesterday then?

Hmph!

After much moaning on my part they agreed to let me have it at the day before's rate, because I should have been advised.

So, pretty darned good company.

One thing that is also not clear is that there is a £3.49 for uploading *each side* of your PDF.

But all told they are still cheaper than any other company I could find on or off the net.

Helena
  • I got free business cards from vistaprint. they're not bad at all. only thing is that you have to pay for postage so *technically* it's not free.
  • Ooo, ladies, don't be so fussy!  The business cards ARE free - you would have to pay postage from any printer unless you could collect them yourself.  You have a choice of delivery times - I paid for the slowest £3.60.  That ain't bad to have 250 full coloured business cards.  Re the uploading of your own designs - that is a one-off charge, if you want further copies in the future you do not have to upload them again.  Frankly I do not see where Vistaprint make their money.  I have had two lots of free business cards using their standard templates (one lot completely free of back printing) and they still inundate me with free offers almost daily! I know many people in the lower fringes of the entertainment industry have had free cards from them.
  • My 100 flyers which they advertise at £10 have actually cost just over £26 by the time they add the obligatory upload fees and proof fee, and that is the cheapest (21-day) postage.

I am NOT complaining, I am just telling everyone for their information.

Helena
  • I agree that it's cheap. My mum has all sorts of things from them, calendars, stamps, letter headings, I was flabbergasted when she showed me. Wasn't complaining, just being picky about 'free'. I see quite a few things advertised on ebay that are really cheap, like a few pence, then the postage and packing charge is huge which is surely not what it would really cost.
  • "Frankly I do not see where Vistaprint make their money" says Sherlock.

Well, they charge a fee to upload each side of your flyer, a fee to show you a PDF of your file, and overcharge a little on postage, but the REAL way they make money is from the amount of publicity and goodwill they generate from their free offers.
  • Just to let everyone know, Vistaprint have currently (TODAY) got an offer for 50 free giant postcards. All you pay is £1.99 to see the proof online, £1.74 to upload your design (which must be in PDF) and £3.08 postage (slowest) - a total of £6.81 for 50 glossy postcards of anything you choose! I am trying to think what I need 50 postcards of, just to take advantage of the offer!
  • ... and when you get to the very end of your order, they add 17.5% VAT. My grand total for 100 postcards is £5.66 - and unbeatable!
  • Here is an update which I am posting purely to help other people.

I ordered some postcards from vistaprint.co.uk and chose the cheapest possible shipping option: £3.08, but for that you are told you will wait 21 days for delivery. That was on 11th April. Today (15th) vistaprint emailed to say they have been posted!

So, don't pay extra for faster shipping.
  • I have had two separate business cards printed by Vistaprint and chosen the slowest delivery in each case.  On both occasions they sent an e-mail to say they had been despatched within 3 days of sending the order, however they still took a couple of weeks to come.  The boxes have a large 1 on the label which one might assume means first class?