Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Advice re writing reference books needed, please

edited April 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I often note reference books recommended for writers in WM and other sources.  I find myself with £15 of Amazon vouchers to use by the end of May and have decided to treat myself to some of these reference books on my list.  However, some have mixed reviews on Amazon and I'm wondering whether any of you have any of these books and could give your opinion?  They are:

1. Rewriting: A Creative Approach to Writing Fiction: David Kaplan

2. Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Linda Edelstein - mixed reviews of this on Amazon.

3. How to Create Fictional Characters: Jean Saunders

4. How to Write Realistic Dialogue: Jean Saunders

5. Write Tight (Writer's Digest Books) - there seem to be two versions of this and the more modern one is very expensive.

6. From Pitch to Publication: Everything you need to know to get your novel published: Carole Blake - mixed reviews of this on Amazon.

I'd be grateful for your help.  Thanks.  Luckily a lot of these can be purchased quite cheaply on Amazon, so I anticipate being able to buy a couple of them.
  • I'm not sure if any of them are by American authors but, if so, decide whether the book is equally applicable to the UK market.
  • I have not read any of those so cannot comment. I must admit to having a perverse habit for these kind of books though. I love Michael Legat's Writing For Pleasure and Profit and James N Frey's How to write A Damn Good Novel/Fiction books.
  • I have a couple of Jean's books, not the two you've mentioned though, so can't say if they're worth the purchase, but will say she gives clear concise advice which is of practical use.
    Don't know if from Pitch to Publication has been updated, my copy is five years old; and I have only read parts as I found too much at once heavy going- but that may just be me.
    The others I haven't read.
    This is only one view, you might want to see if you can find a copy at the library to see if it's worth buying.
  • Hippo meant to add. I'm reading How To Write a Million after reading the second book first. I am finding them to be a great source of writing knowledge. (not that you would guess it from this lame post of mine) The only thing is that they are more concerned about the great blockbuster novel. If you are not writing this then maybe they will be of little use. I'm attempting to write a high concept blockbuster type so I have found them to be fantastic.
  • I bought 'From Pitch to Publication' and have found it very useful.
    I bought a copy of 'Writing for Pleasure and Profit' by Michael Legat in a charity shop last week for 80p and like SilentTony I think it is a good read with many useful tips on all aspects of writing.
  • I bought that Michael Legat book too Katyanne,many years ago, and yes it's another good basic writing book reference and digesting.
  • I've found Michael Legat's books on writing very helpful. Highly recommended.
  • I'd say
    'Cracking the Short Story Market' by Iain Pattison.'
    'Becoming a Writer' Dorothea Brande
    'The Novelist's Guide' Margret Geraghty
  • I recommend the Oxford Style Manual, especially for its sections on spelling and punctuation, but there's a lot more useful stuff in there as well.
  • "From Pitch to Publication" - I found useful and would consider if pitching to Blake Friedman as an agency.

Haven't read the others.

Would recommend (amongst many): A Writer's Book of Days - one that Diana Evans mentioned and I already had.  A constant source of encouragement and makes me get down to the nitty-gritty.
  • I bought it, absorbed all the advice, pitched my novel to Ms Blake ... and was turned down flat (crawls away to lick wounds).
  • Ah!  Whoops, sorry... maybe I wouldn't then!
  • But then again, my novel's my novel and I'd think about pitching to Blake Friedman.

In any case, montholon, they may not have been right for you but there are lots out there who could be. 
  • Hi Hippo
    You don't give any indication of what kind of novel etc. I'm looking at initially crime but may sway to Science Fiction/Fantasy
    'The writers guide to character traits' I'm waiting for my local library before I buy it, they have it on order for me so can not comment on that one.
    The others I don't have but in my mini bookshelf directly above me with the exception of the last one they are all writers digests books, so if they are still available and you have the vouchers
    look at these
    1 Creating Characters: How to build story people.
    2 Deadly Doses: A writers guide to Poisons
    3 Armed & Dangerous: A Writers Guide to Weapons
    4 Body Trauma: A Writers Guide to Wounds & Injuries
    5 Just the Facts, Ma'am: A writers Guide to Investigations & Investigation Techniques
    I have found them to be very helpful indeed
    Tha last one is 'Gangs' by Tony Thompson it's non fiction about the life of the heart of the British Underworld
    Tony Thompson is the crime correspondent of the Observer and who also wrote 'Gangland Britain'
    Hope this helps
  • I have 45 Master Characters by Schmidt, a Writer's Digest Book. It has its good and bad points, but I did find it useful.
    Would also suggest as a general reference the Cassell Dictionary of Word Histories.
  • Thanks for all the tips, everyone, which I'll study when I have a little more time - I'm on my usual 'oh my God where has the evening gone I've still got washing to hang up and dinner to eat and my planned hour on Talkback has shrunk to 10 minutes...' panic.  More and more these days, time seems to slip through my fingers...