Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

English history being 'sexed up' -again?

edited April 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Just saw this piece in the Times Online, it is now the turn of Henry VIII to be given the 'American' treatment- is nothing sacred!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article1613666.ece
  • Not only are they changing Henry into a skinny, sexy, dark-haired man, they're altering historical facts as well.
    Quote:  “We really only have one question. Is any of this true?” About 85%, Hirst replied, apart from a few name changes and a bit of chronological fudging and filling-in of dramatic blanks in the name of artistic licence."
    What the? 
  • Hollywood makes mockery of history without batting an eyelid first three examples that spring to mind are Braveheart, Enigma and Saving Private Ryan. The list would be huge.

Aegean
    ------
  • I'm being devil's advocate here, as I think that rewriting history is basically propoganda, but...

Shakespeare anyone? Richard II wasn't it?
  • I can deal with screen writers adding words that would be appropriate to an actual meeting between two actual figures of the past, but I'm highly offended when it's seen as okay to make things up which didn't actually occur. Actual people who never met. Or making no effort to physically portray a known monarch as well as can be done- wigs, prosphetics, false noses etc.
    And unfortunately it is these inaccurate versions that people remember and believe to be fact.
  • In younger life Henry was an athelete and champion of the Catholic church. When you write his story Dorothy ask him about Walsingham Shrine like me he walked the holy mile barefoot
  • What contemporary would have dared to describe a Tudor as anything but handsome?
  • depends on which Tudor, Henry V was not a handsome or well loved or even liked man, especially by Richard supporters! He had a reign of extreme conflict and problems.  It seems Henry V was handsome but the 6th Henry was a pious mentally troubled man whom nobody took very seriously, not even his wife.  Henry VIII was (and is) larger than life and everything you would expect a medieval king to be.  I started a course of lectures yesterday in the car, on the Tudors and Stuarts, the lecturer mentioned Anne Boleyn, asked whether it was love or lust - I clearly got 'lust, Catherine!' which I knew anyway.  He told me once he wanted to write about his women. I said no book in the world was big enough ... and could we stick to the ones history knew about, please ...
  • Not even his wife!!! Has any wife ever taken her husband seriously???
  • I think Henry VIII's wives did, well, some of them, even if they did end up deceased one way or another ...
  • Didn't Henry VI inherit the mental imbalance of his maternal grandfather, Charles, King of France?
  • yes, he did.  Poor guy and with a wife like his, one who was determined to run the country her way ... he stood no chance!
  • Claudia, you have no idea ... I could not begin  to tell you all about yesterday but briefly I was emailed, my friend is used by her spirit companions to send me emails, to ask if a couple of spirits could use my office here at work for a meeting, as it was neutral ground, as it were.  I just switched off when they arrived and let them talk....

Monday I sat with my friend in her home and we knew the place was full of spirits, we could both see them.  We didn't know who they were, but it should have been circle night and they had all arrived in anticipation of being used and we didn't have circle, it being Easter and everyone either doing something or away. We just accept they are there.

I have been listening to the CDs of The Secret and working out this Law of Attraction theory. It makes perfect sense that like attracts like. Having started with a duke and an earl, the Law of Attraction swung into effect and brings in the others, 'hey, here's someone we can talk to, someone sympathetic, someone friendly' and so they come.  A few are past lives, my duke is, Henry is, others come through the Law of Attraction or association with those who are already talking to me.

My daughter finds me freaky and weird and we don't talk about it ...