Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

DSJT Award Winners 2006? 2005? 2004?

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Did any Talkbacker win a DSJTT prize in previous years and attended Harrogate? If so could you respond either here or email me please?

[email protected]

Thanks!

Helena
  • I wonder what happened to all those winners? Are they too high and mighty for Talkback? Will I be so, too, after 3rd May? LOL.
  • I know one person who attended, I believe she was part of a group of writers who had their anthology picked. They still write and have gone on to produce more anthologies.
  • I have been to Harrogate twice in recent years - once as a short story winner, once as open poetry runner up. Have the photos to prove it! I would have to dig around for exact dates though -at least one of them was pre 2004.
  • What I wanted to know was - what is it like at the ceremony? And how long does the affair last?
  • You arrive for lunch - buffet-style, with chance to meet and chat, then go into the hall at around 2.30pm if I remember rightly. There are some speeches, then each award is given out and a photo taken of each person who goes up on stage. This takes an hour or so. There is a big group pic taken outside on the steps and there is afternoon tea. I think I left by about 4.30 or 5. Many people need to catch trains. the grounds of the hotel are nice and the town is only a short walk away, so it's worth arriving early or staying on to look round.
  • Hi.  I've been twice ('04 and '05) as a poetry winner.  It's all very friendly and it's good to meet up with other writers.  Re the awards - it's as Viv says.  A good day out.
  • Cheers Viv. Do the newspapers or TV cover the event?
  • No TV, that's for sure. I have not been aware of press there, but it's possible some local coverage in Harrogate - not sure. But Writers News/Writing Mag have always given it excellent colour several-pages coverage - that will probably change now the mags have been bought out. In fact, from a flyer I received today,it looks like winners of future DSJT competitions will get their awards at the Society of Authors in London. Maybe it's the last chance this year to get to Harrogate.
  • I'm not obviously keeping up, but I hadn't realised the two mags had been bought out. By whom, Viv? What was the flyer's origin, and what did it say? Thanks. Neil.
  • Gordon Bennett.  I've just realised that, since being a subscriber since 1991, I've not entered anything with WN.  I doubt they've missed much :O)
  • Neil, Warners Group Publications PLC, a few years ago.
  • I don't know too much about this but I have this thought: I picked up a copy of WM in Smith's a couple of years back and also a mag called Writer's Forum. This new year I decided to take writing quite serious and remembered these mags.  bought them again ad thought they were similar, next month WM changed and appealed to me so much I did a DD on the subscription. So whatever and whoever do not change how it is now I love t.
  • "it looks like winners of future DSJT competitions will get their awards at the Society of Authors in London."

Just my luck! The distance to Harrogate has made it hard for me to attend this year. I will be entering another book next year but I doubt if they will let me win again will they - looks like favouritism.
  • Even more confused now: Carol says the mags were bought out 'a few years ago' while Viv seemed to suggest (I think) there'd been a more recent change. Could somebody clarify? Thanks.
  • I believe it was part of the Yorkshire Post Group previously.
    I think the latest change was in the last two years- may only be 18 months, but would have to look at back issues to confirm.
    Most of the changes that the magazine has been having, seem to be in this past year.
  • The mags changed hands a while back, and the biggest change in recent months is in the running of the competitions. This was well publicised at the time, with the magazines deciding to start running them themselves, with set-price entry fees, and you will see that the entry forms are now different too, and that entries have to go to an address in Bourne, Lincolnshire, not to Nairn. The links with the DSJT seem to be breaking, although I think we are in a cross-over period as many of the already-advertised DSJT competitions are still approaching their closing dates. The DSJT seem to be still intending to run their own set of comps -and it was a flyer about these that I received with the latest copy of LINK magazine (produced by the National Assn of Writers Groups). They now seem to be the big annual comps like the £1000 ghost story and the annual poetry cup, rather than all the little monthly ones we used to have with first lines, photos, characters and situations chosen to write about. Writing Magazine are now running those. We will have to see what arrangememts the magazines make for their own prizegiving in the future, but as far as I can tell the DSJT definitely seem to be swtiching theirs to London.
  • Hurrah! I must do my best to win next year as London is easy to get to! LOL
  • Thanks Carol and Viv for clearing that up.