Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My book in Waterstones

edited April 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Feeling low yesterday. Travelled with the dreadlocked one i.e. the boyfriend to Newcastle and was astonished and dissapointed at the lack of alternative shops. Anyway, was passing through Waterstones...just happened to walk past the health section, spotted my book and my day was made. Felt like buying it actually. Just for the sake of it. Of couse, I walked out quietly. Need to watch my spending anyways...what after quiting my horrible job...got home, bashed out another chapter of my children's book. Now, when this makes it to Waterstones, I'll be on R&J...well, thats the plan.
  • Great! And great it cheered you up, too.
  • Good news MM, and so pleased it lightened your dismals. You can now proudly declare 'my book is in Waterstones.'
  • Wow, that's fantastic MM! Well done!
  • Now imagine you see someone reading your book on a bus or a train....wouldn't that be just fantastic!
  • Keep faith in yourself MM
  • Wow, that's great MM!
  • What a wonderful way to be cheered up. That must be a great feeling to see your work for sale in a bonifide book shop. I've along time to go until I get there, but I'm going too. I really, really am.
    I'm sure dropping the job will be the making of your writing, if only I could do the same. Wishful thinking, sigh, sigh...but one day.
    I hope your children's book sores off the shelf too.
  • Yeah it's really exciting at first, isn't it?

I walked into Ottakar's in Hastings to find my book, face outwards, on a 5ft high cardboard display stand headed "Manager's Choice" and facing the entrance. I was so thrilled I ran home for my camera.

Enjoy the thrill while you can, because I found
    it wears off. It makes me sad that when I see my books on the bookshop shelves I feel absolutely nothing.

A tip: place your book face-outward if you get the chance, or move it to a favourable postion.
  • Yes, it's great when that happens. Did you happen to have a camera? The photo of me with my book in Waterstones (big 'W' logo in background) is plastered all over my website. lol.
  • Have you tried Morpeth or Hexham for independent shops?.  North Shields have some great second hand bookshops, and of course there is Barter Books in Alnwick.

Congrats.

God, I love living in the North East.
  • And there's York. We have some fantastic bookshops here. I can give a few recommendations if you're interested.
  • Oops.  Forgot about York.  Fantastic city and even better book shops.  I'll be looking out for you in Waterstones.