Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Are any of you good at chess?

edited March 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I have an idea for a story based around the moves of a chess game, unfortunately I am hopeless at chess so if anyone could help me out I would be greatful.
  • Nephilims, I just did a simple google search on the rules of chess and came up with this website.  I'm sure there are plenty of other websites out there you could go to.  I had to learn the rules of poker last year for one of the scenes in my book and I spent about an hour or two on the search.  Amazing what you can do on the internet these days.  Hope this helps.

http://www.chessvariants.com/d.chess/chess.html
  • The early moves in chess are like a minuete, Most payers are familiar with the known openings and responses. It is not until bout move eight that that the game really starts. I love chess but consider bridge as an alternative, the interplay between four people is much more dynamic. Fom the first moment the questions start, what is my partner trying to tell me? what are the enemy telling each other? What the hell did that mean?
  • Thanks for that Dribble, I've looked at some but all it did was confuse me further.  I have to admit to not being the best at research sometimes.
  • I've never played chess in my life, so I'm afraid all I can say to your original question is - 'No.'  Hehe!  Sorry, love.
  • It's a great idea, but you might leave yourself open to criticism from chess players if you make a mistake.

I think I'd rather base a story on a game where the rules are easier to learn!!
  • My (much missed) grandfather taught me to play chess when I was very young. We used to work through the moves from major international & league games that were published in the Daily Telegraph using that very special notation that chess has. So my thought, NC, is would it be possible to use a set of moves from such a game? I think they still appear in some newspapers (do a search on the Telegraph, Guardian & Times websites maybe?). I have no idea at all if you'd need permission to re-use these moves from actual games in your own book though.

These days, my partner Daniel and I sometimes have a games evening and play chess / Triv / blackjack etc. Other than a good understanding of the moves allowed by each piece, it seems the most important thing in chess is to think several (or many) moves ahead about what the other player is likely to do, much more than what moves you are planning to make yourself - it is a very strategic game and Daniel is much, much better than me at it! However, I'm much better at poker than he is - which (tongue very firmly in cheek when I say this) perhaps shows that men are better strategic players and women more able to take chances, risk & deceive their opponent!!
  • Yes NephilimsChild,

I tend to agree with Jenny's observation. Chess is a game of simple moves which mask intricate plots.

Robert gives a good idea of the opening gambits but any observer will be unaware of the furious planning in each combatants sly, calculating, manipulative, mental calculations.

The aim of the game is to outwit one's opponent. To achieve this it is necessary to mentally formulate one's next eight or ten moves and be able to adapt that strategy as a consequence of assessing the other players intentions with each move of their board pieces.

Your only chance of comprehending the games intricacies is to learn its rudiments and play.

Good luck and may you find success.
  • The actual game is secondary to the plotting if that makes any sense, I used to play when I was little but my dad always wiped the floor with me.

Thanx for the advice though guys.
  • NC - How good at chess are your characters? If they're not pros, then it wouldn't really matter if they didn't know the ins and outs of the game. You could try writing your story, and then let a chess player read it in case you've dropped any clangers.
  • They aren't proffessional at all Jay, all I need to do then is find a chess player willing to read!!

Cheers
  • Chess is my favourite game but I don't often find someone to play. I guess I could join a chess club but my life is full enough already. I belong to the local history society. Last Firday I bought some chess software and loaded it on to my laptop. Four hours on Friday evening soon went bye and it was gone midnight before I went to bed! An older brother taught me and I taught my sister and two younger brothers. Maureen seems unable to understand the game! I think there was a ghost story in WN about chess.
  • The last was from me but seems not to have my name by it.
  • Now it does!
  • One of Helena's free download books is about learning to play chess!
  • As a lad of 13 - so long ago - I played chess with a man every Monday night and never ever beat him. But I learnt a lot about chess. His daughter thought I was interested in her - well, only a little; the chess was far more interesting.
  • The daughter later found herself a mate - I wondetr if they ever play chess?
  • Was he English, Stan, or was he ...?
  • Czech? So they became Czechmates!
  • I don't think I'm ruthless enough for chess, although I'd make meticulous mental game plans.  The ex tried to teach me and I always lost.  Same with bridge - always let the side down and ended up having some of the worst marital barneys ever.

He was thunderstruck when I said "it's only a game" one particular steamy night in Singapore.  Apparently, I was supposed to have been a complete psychic, guessing what everyone had in their hands.  I quite enjoyed it until he kept having a go at me, a beginner! 
  • Jay and Stan ....... the next Morecambe & Wise!! But who is which?!!
  • Good night from me, and good night from him. Now we sing 'brng me sunshine' as we dance and fade into the background.
  • Now you've turned into The Two Ronnies! Does your agent know?
  • Yes, I thought I might be confusing the Two Ronnies with Morecombe and Wise. Oh, look here comes a man with a fez, just like that. Now what has this silliness got to do with chess?
  • Hi I was once world champion for my age at Chess. Any questions would be answered: especially about Anthony Head or "One (k)Night in Bangkok"
  • or Busy Bishops in Bournemouth, not to mention Castles in Wales or Rooks in Rugby.
  • NC - If you've been studying chess for the past nine days, you're probably a Grand Master by now!!

(How PC is the chess world? Calling someone a Grand Mistress has a totally different connotation!)
  • Wasn’t there a musical called ‘Chess’ with Barbara Dickson and Elaine Page? I never watched it but I remember the song when they went on Top of the Pops (Wasn’t he good, oh so good?) and the whole set was done out like a chess board. I was quite young then (such a baby at 36 I know!) so I don’t remember much about it except that the two women were fighting over one man, and I just thought yuk who’d want to? So I don’t know whether it was anything to do with the game of chess at all, or whether it was using chess as a metaphor for relationships.
  • "Chess" (written by Tim Rice with Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus from Abba) certainly used chess as a metaphor for relationships. And for the Cold War. It's actually quite inventive stuff, although I do confess to a sneaking liking for musicals. And I saw Barbara Dickson in concert recently, singing an acoustic, chilled-out version of "I Know Him So Well" that was a million miles away from the big-hair, synth-heavy 1980s single! ;-)