Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Three ways to print your book (for self publishers)

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• My first three books were POD but I didn't do them "one book printed to order"; I had 100 at first then 50 or 20 per time, so I didn't print too many.

In my early days I was unsure how my radical feminist view of women's history in Victorian times would be received by the ordinary folk of Hastings. I needn't have worried though, the book sold about 300-400. This gave me confidence, and when I expanded my Hastings book to the whole county of Sussex I took the plunge and risked £2,300 on 1,600 copies printed lithographically.

Each of the litho books, therefore, cost me £1.55; the POD books, half the number of pages, cost about £2.50 each. The difference in quality, most especially the cover, was very noticeable.

This book went on to sell over 1,500 copies. Had I opted for POD those 1,500 copies would have cost me £4,600 not £2,300.

Some lithographic printers have recently opened digital departments, and I have had three books printed this way.

I currently have books printed three ways: litho (for over 500 print-runs), digital (for short runs of 100-500) and print on demand (I print only one title this way now, and get 20 printed at a time.)

I don't use the one-book-printed-at-a-time method because the book in question is stocked in local bookshops (it's a local history).

Anyone else like to share experiences?

Helena
    http://www.hastingspress.co.uk