Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The effectiveness of the radio interview?

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I've recently had a book published by Robert Hale - Pets in Prospect. Celia Haddon of the Telegraph says 'If you enjoyed reading James Herriot you will enjoy Malcolm Welshman's rollicking story of eccentric animals and even more eccentric humans'.  Managed a mention on Wake Up With Wogan.  Just been declared 'Book of the Week' by Anna Raeburn on LBC Radio.  Currently undertaking eleven radio interviews. I have a question for fellow WN members. Have any of you heard me on the radio? And if so did it prompt you to consider buying the book?  Would be grateful for any feedback. Thanks.
  • Welcome to Talkback. Sorry not heard your interviews, but there are a few in London who might be able to answer your question. Hope the book sells well.
  • Crumbs, you're doing well. I can't speak for radio interviews (no pun intended), but newspapers and magazines can be a bit hit or miss. One of my collections was reviewed by Gay Times; and readers' reviews of two of my novels were published in The Sunday Express - but there didn't seem to be a dramatic surge in sales.  On the other hand, the odd mention in Writers' News seems to have helped. Good reviews on Amazon also seem to boost sales.
  • Congratulations Malcolm. How wonderful. Is your book going to be available in Oz anytime soon?
  • I hear a lot of radio interviews with overseas novelists and have noted them down if their books sound interesting.
    I'm sorry to say that I have not heard you on the radio or by the book on the bookshelf.  I wish you all the best for the sell of your book!
    Alana
  • Well done Malcolm!
  • Thanks for all your replies. Was given a very sympathetic interview re my life and background in writing on BBC Radio Bristol. If anyone's interested, they can hear this again by going to bbc.co.uk/radiobristol and click on the listen live/listen again  (may need to upload it)for Saturday 13th Jan  - Cat James show. I'm 15 minutes into the show.They even allowed me to chose two pieces of music. So if you've 20 minutes or so to spare have a listen......and see what you think.
  • Hi there Island Girl.  In answer to your question as to whether Pets in Prospect will be available in Oz, there has been 'interest' expressed by a large publishing house over there, so I have high hopes. I'll jumping like a joey if it does get published down under.  Book signings and author events in Sydney......dream on Malcolm.  <g>
  • Good for you, Malcolm.  It's got to be positive, especially being name-dropped by Mr Wogan. 
  • PS All power to Somerset writers!  (Okay, and to writers everywhere)
  • Well done Malcolm. I didn't hear the interviews.
  • What a coincidence!  I was listening to Cat James show on Radio Bristol this Sat am (13 Jan) and who should I hear just 15 minutes into the show?  Yes, you! In person, discussing your latest novel, your trans-African adventures and the nutty characters you encountered in your veterinary surgery.  The interview was funny, interesting and touching.  I've just ordered the book and fully expect it to come up to my high expectations.  I'll report back when I've read it!  In the meantime, the radio show's still available on 'listen again' under Radio Bristol, if anyone else fancies listening.
  • Thanks for that Brownfox. It's amazing the power of the media.  That Radio Bristol interview with Cat James got heard by a chap who runs a company supplying speakers for cruise ships.  He contacted me and said 'Great.You'll go down a storm.' So I'm now going to be booked to speak on a cruiseship... all expenses paid: and wife can come too.
  • Brilliant! Do you know where the ship'll be going?
  • As I'm a first timer in unchartered waters as a speaker,  it will probably be three times round the Isle of Wight in a rust bucket
  • Don't forget to say 'hello' to Dorothy, then.
  • MW, please don't 'go down a storm' on the cruise!
  • Hi Howard.  Thought the same about the choice of words.  Would have been more reassured if he'd said 'You'll be swell.' But there again I'm not too sure of my sea legs.So perhaps that wouldn't wash. I'll just have to wake and sea.  Sorry.. sinking to great depths with these puns. Will hit rock bottom if I go on....
  • I'm shell-shocked now and if you continue I'll get crabby. The whole thing sounds a bit fishy but I'm sure when they've got you on board you'll be a life saver. Hope you don't feel too eel to speak, MW.
  • I could be blown off course and and clam up without being able to drop any pearls of wisdom.  But it could be a breeze in which case then I could sail through it without getting in a flap.
  • Well, my copy of the book has arrived.  Judging by all the puns floating about, especially re the cruise ship, I suspect I have a foretaste of what's in 'shore' for me when I start to read.  Have any of you other contributors to this messageboard listened to the interview?  Quite uncanny actually listening to the voice of someone you're writing to but never met.  At least from the back cover of the book, I can now put a face to the words.  Funny looking dog you're holding, looks rather peeved at something.  What's he called Malcolm?
  • I'm shore that the cruise will be a breeze and you'll have a whale of a time, MW. In no time you'll get into the swim of things and sail through with flying colours.
  • Just had an e-mail re someone who'd heard my Radio Bristol interview and got in touch to say they've already read the book and how funny it was.  That person turned out to be a student friend from Bristol days. 34 years ago.  And to top it all  my creative writing tutor of 28 years ago has also just got in touch since the radio interval to say quote 'I sat down to dip into Pets in Prospect and ended up reading it all - very page turning - didn't eat breakfast or go out until it was time for tea (if not supper).'
    All very emotional stuff.  And again demonstrates the power of the media.
  • I've been on the radio several times and so have three of my authors. I have never personally received a direct book order as a result of a radio interview.

What I *do* receive a lot of is cheques with a note attached saying "read the review in ...." and want to buy the book. Sometimes people write a year or more after the review, having read the magazine in the doctor's or dentist's waiting room or got old mags from a friend or boot fair!

So in my experience a review is better printed than spoken.

Helen
  • I heard that broadcast with you and the BBC on the way up to Crufts.  I thought you sounded hilariously funny, yet self-deprecating and modest, more interested in Rex the dog than yourself!  And so was the interviewer!

It spoke to me: listen, you'll get as many buyers who've read a good review as those who've listened.  Maybe it's 2 to 1.  But, in any case, all publicity, especially once invited, is worth a try.
  • Thanks for those kind comments Tessa.  Nice of you to respond. That interview was a little more testing than those that had gone before insomuch as it was on a different tact - more as you say about Arthur-Rex than the book.  So had to speak off the top of my head as it were. Plus using a mobile phone in the car with traffic roaring past . Not conducive to collecting one's thoughts.
    I guess it's all good experience though. And Faye, the interviewer  came across as being very enthusiastic. Well she did initially clobber me when I was hurtling up the M5 past Gloucester. So she knew she'd got one listener hooked.
  • Thanks Themoabird. Oh well. I suppose at least having done some radio interviews they can be added to one's CV and so help to build up a publicity portfolio. This presumably can help further promotion?  And improve an author's credentials next time round should another book be written esp if like me,I would then be looking for an agent.
  • Productive marketing outlets need to be appropriate to the subject.

HelenaWoltczak was promoting a factual biography whose target audience may be otherwise occupied during broadcast of her guest appearances. Themoabird writes philosophical tomes whose readership, listening to Radio One, is likely to be minimal. Thus their strategies would benefit a different form to that of a lighthearted volume written for entertainment.

M.Welshman has a whit and humour that is more likely to enamour the general public.
  • By the way, it's not just the effectiveness of radio that's questionable. Even reviews in newspapers and magazines don't always lead to much in the way of increased sales. Being in a relatively small Amazon chart, however, may mean that browsers can find your book easily - and buy. (Maybe there's a bit of impulse-buying involved, as you're 'already there'.) Presumably being in Waterstone's window display works wonders, too.
  • There's another beneficial aspect to the radio interview of which Jay's mention of Waterstone's has reminded me. Prior to doing three radio slots almost back to back in the SE I spent a couple of hours phoning 24 Waterstone's in the receiving areas and told them about the forthcoming interviews. That prompted them to each order a few copies  - it amounted to 60 books. On another occasion with some Midlands radio interviews I forgot to do that. But decided to phone up the day after.  Most Waterstone's managers were fine and ordered copies, though one chap was a bit irritated and told me off for not telling him in advance. But when I checked with the distributor of the books I found that manager had nevertheless ordered a few. So I guess some benefits can accrue from such interviews.