Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Dandelion Clock

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• E-mail received on Sunday from a reader: "I hope you find someone to dramatise some of your work. The Dandelion Clock would make a cracking TV film."

Remember: the e-book is available at only £1 from the publisher. You'll find reviews on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com

Broaden your horizon.
  • That's a great complement Jay. Perhaps you should start contacting independent production companies!
  • Thanks, Carol. Trying to get producers interested is on my list for this year. I've already sent details of 'All About Sex' to someone involved with the BBC's Afternoon Plays.
  • In January we had Michael Eaton ( Our Friends in the North, Shoot to Kill, and Shipman)give a talk to our writers club on screenwriting.
    One of the items discussed was getting screenplays accepted, as it was almost impossible to get the BBC to accept things ,so going to the Independent production companies was often the way in.
    Hope you get some positive responses from your enquiries.
  • The Dandelion Clock a moving book of kindness and love..this book had me sad, laughing and at times angered.

I found this on a website just now.
  • You have been getting great responses to your work Jay. Hope this helps you while you're not feeling 100%.
  • Very encouraging feedback Jay - great stuff
  • It's great when people appreciate what you've written and say so.  It makes all that hard graft worthwhile.  Hope you've got an inner glow Jay.
  • Well done, Jay, great feedback.
  • How wonderful to get feedback like this where the reader has become emotionally involved in your writing.       
  • Found on website about my flash fiction:
    "Jay Mandal's writing is superb. He writes very moving, human stories and is an incredible talent. I'm a heterosexual oaf ... but I've had tears in my eyes, and belly-laughed while reading some of Jay's shorts."
  • E-mail just received. I wonder where he heard of the book?

"I just finished reading your book "The Dandelion Clock", and I have to say that I really liked the story.

"I think it is one of the best I have read in a long time. I laughed and cried along with the characters, and felt incredibly happy when I eventually put the book down after having read the last chapter (at the same time feeling a bit sad because I had reached the end of the book). Is this a pure fictional story, or is there some real life background to it? I did recognize some situations and thoughts from my own life I think.

"Anyway, I really liked the book, and just wanted to give you some positive feedback.
    I am definitely going to read some of your other work as well."
  • Jay, I don't think anyone has to be ANY kind of "sexual" to read your work.  I love it.  I'm a mother of a gay son and straight daughter. 

Well done on your continued success and long may it last!
  • And yes, we've bought your work.
  • Thanks, TT. I think the reader lives in Sweden. I'm going to e-mail him and ask how he heard of my book, and ask if he minds putting a review on Amazon.
  • Jay, why don't you ask him if he would mind you quoting him on your publicity leaflets and stuff. Having independent reviews always useful as well as Amazon reviews.
  • I'm always a bit wary of quoting ordinary readers in view of the genre, but 'Sven of Sweden' would probably be all right, and, as you suggest, I could check with him first. It's nice to have another review for one of the novels. I've sent my short stories out to lots of people, as it's obviously easier to read a few pages rather than a whole book. I tend to quote people such as Ian McKellen and Russell T Davies in the hope that that will make potential readers/reviewers sit up and take notice. I'll let you know what 'Sven' says - I haven't got round to e-mailing him yet.