Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

After dinner talk - any tips?

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi folks. I've got to give an after dinner talk at a charity event in two weeks time. Apparently c 80 people are attending. Never done one before. I've got a book from the library on after dinner speaking - a sort of idiot's guide. It says to keep one's head up, chin jutting out, mouth wide open, eyes staring above the audience, shoulders squared, arms spread out.  That's before you utter a word. Mmm. I'd feel like something engineered by Mary Shelly if I did all of that. I'll have to have a script to hand in case I dry up but will attempt to just use prompt cards to make sure I keep some continuity and stop the talk from sounding too stilted. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice from those Talkbackers who are into public speaking.
  • I've no experience of dinners but I do a lot of talking to groups of parents and children in assemblies. I find it essential to 'connect' with the audience through confident body language (as you describe), eye contact and a very clear, positive start. In larger groups I tend to address those at the back but occasionally deliberately make eye contact with those nearer, including the front row. The audience will be assessing from the start what they can expect so it's good to win them over with some humour early on, but obviously save the killer jokes for later once they are warmed up. I saw a video of myself once and was horrified at how I moved about too much taking attention away from the words. I also used to speak too quickly.

Anyway, MW, I have a feeling you've got the personality to carry it off with some aplomb, but good luck away.
  • Good Luck M.Welshman,

Forget actual number of people attending and treat the event as an informal chat with a couple of friends.

You are "selling" a book for entertainment so relax, be as casual as when dealing with an animal and owner in your surgery.
  • make 'em laugh at the very start and they'll settle down to listen - as Howard says, 'engage' with them and away you go.  Best of luck though because it is quite daunting, I'm sure you'll be OK you're quite a celebrity now!
  • We had a speaker at our club a couple of months ago especially for helping our writers improve their reading aloud- Nottingham actually has a Speakers Club.
    Apart from what has already been suggested, you should also be familiar with what you intend to say, so prompt cards will probably be a good idea, that way you will be comfortable with speaking, and also breathe evenly. Finally slow down, don't rush.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • Thanks Howard,Jan and Betsie.  You've given me some good pointers already. Will work on engaging with the audience. And not to move around too much. Guess I might be stuck at a table anyway.  Really not sure about 'jokes'. I'm awful at telling them and dread the thought of any falling flat as I haven't the comedian's ability to turn that on itself. So probably best to try my hand at light humorous anecdotal tales. I 'm just about to start preparing something. So no doubt will be fishing for more debaitable lines of enquiry.
  • And thanks to Claudia and Carol. I was writing the above message not knowing that  your two were coming through.  The rehearse, rehearse rehearse advice is certainly very relevant. I found that honing a few tales for radio made it so much easier to relate them come my umpteenth chat. My main fear is that with 30-40 mins to do and no presenter to prompt me I'll loose direction and start waffling aimlessly.  I haven't a good memory these days so can easily flounder. Yep. Get rehearsing.
  • I honestly think Rex will help.  Be yourself; engage with humour; yes, not too much body activity; and remember that poor soul at the back :O)

I agree with Howard, and others, above.
  • MW, can I suggest you play to your strengths? Use puns. If you get in some very obvious ones at the start (with pauses for them to think about what you've said) they'll help carry you through.
  • [He barks, as MW trots on, doggedly...]
  • Oh good luck MW! My tip is don't be tempted to drink alcohol (or coffee) beforehand because speaking for 30-40 minutes really makes your mouth dry. Have plenty of water on hand to sip while you're speaking. When I run training courses, I probably get through 2+ litres (4 pints) of water in half a day!

Save the booze for afterwards!